Eduardos injury..

heavymental
heavymental Posts: 2,076
edited February 2008 in The bottom bracket
Pretty nasty eh :shock:

Whenever I've gone onto youtube recently at least one of the videos currently being watched is of that incident. Horrible.

Comments

• You'd think that with the sort of money professional footballers are paid they could afford a surname :twisted:
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Brazilian by birth but became a Croatian national in 2004 when he played for the Croatian U21 squad. Presumably he was not good enough to get into the Brazil squad?

Horrific injury - hope he makes a full recovery as that is a potential career stopper.
  • Probably the worse footy injury I've seen but perhaps the most frightening sporting injury was that of Buffalo Sabres netminder Clint Malarchuk who had his throat slit by a team-mate's skate and nearly bled to death on the ice in front of a 16k+ crowd and millions of TV fans (trust me, in the USA/Canada their hockey viewing figures make the Premiership TV figures look like small change)

The footage is pretty distressing so I'll not post a link but search YouTube and you'll find plenty of clips/interviews etc. Happily he returned to ice hockey and here's hoping that Eduardo manages to return to the footy field
  • Rob Sallnow
    Rob Sallnow Posts: 6,279
    Eduardo's incident really did look disgusting...particularly as one of the pics showed the end of the bone going through the sock.

Another horrific break I remember seeing is that of Washington Redskin QB Joe Theismann in the mid 80s.

And I seem to recall footage of a long/triple jumper breaking his leg on takeoff. :shock:
    I'd rather walk than use Shimano
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    oh that Malarchuck Injury is terrible.....ewww

And the worst is when he just gets up and waltzes off the ice holding an elastoplast to it...Thats a proper man there!!!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    You'd think that with the sort of money professional footballers are paid they could afford a surname :twisted:

While Muddly Talker may had no problem saying Ayrton Sennas full name on occasion it would be a bit difficult to fit even that on a football shirt. And as Football comentators liek to use single names rather than full names if he had been a footballer would he have been referred to as

Ayrton -First name
    Senna - Mothers last name (only adopted this on moving to Europe)
    Da Silva -Fathers last name (and very common)
    Miltoninho - Fathers Firstname + "Son of" Postfix (Milton isn't much of a Portuguese name is it?)

Wikipedia lists 7 Ronaldos in Football.
    * Ronaldo - Ronaldo Luis Nazário de Lima (born 1976), AC Milan footballer.
    * Cristiano Ronaldo, (born 1985), Manchester United footballer and Portuguese international
    * Ronaldo de Assis Moreira (born 1980), FC Barcelona footballer, also known as Ronaldinho Gaucho, and most commonly as Ronaldinho
    * Ronaldo Guiaro (born 1974), a 1996 Olympic Football bronze medal winner, also known as Ronaldinho (used before 1997 to differentiate between himself and Ronaldo Luis Nazário de Lima)
    * Ronaldo Rodrigues de Jesus (born 1965), 'Ronaldão', a 1994 FIFA World Cup winner (also best known as Ronaldo for a time)
    * Ronaldo Silva, a 1984 Olympic Football silver medal winner
    * Ronaldo Soares Giovanelli (born 1967), a goalkeeper in the early 1990s

Yeah ok it would be much better if they used their surnames,
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • Rob Sallnow
    nwallace wrote:

Yeah ok it would be much better if they used their surnames,

You can't beat Fred!!
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    The Malarchuk injury (slit throat) happened again just a few weeks ago to Richard Zednik. Saw it on Eurosport... pretty gruesome, but he just skated off the ice, cool as a cucumber with his carotid artery spraying blood everywhere.

Check out the fan reaction:

zednik_83025.jpg

The Eduardo injury looks bad from the photos I've seen. I have no desire to watch the video :shock:
  • Rob Sallnow
    As we've moved on to sporting slit throats I'll mention the ultimate....Tom Pryce at the 77 South African Grand Prix....drove in to or rather through a fire marshall at 170+mph, the extinguisher he was carrying smacked Pryce in the head and his hemet strap semi decapitated him.....he carried on down the straight dead at the wheel.

Possibly the grossest video on YouTube there is!!
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    As we've moved on to sporting slit throats I'll mention the ultimate....Tom Pryce at the 77 South African Grand Prix....
    Saw some stills/photos of that in F1 Racing I think it was a while back. Not nice.
  • Rob Sallnow
    Indeed...I've got a permanent photo of the moment of impact with the marshall lodged in the brain....along with another of Lorenzo Bandini sat in his car after two minutes at Gas Mark 38!! :(
  • fluff.
    fluff. Posts: 771
    Was going to mention David Busst's footballing injury from a few years ago, uglier than Eduardos but .. hardly compares with those motor racing ones.
  • Indeed...I've got a permanent photo of the moment of impact with the marshall lodged in the brain....along with another of Lorenzo Bandini sat in his car after two minutes at Gas Mark 38!! :(

While we're talking about Formula 1, here's a report about Martin Donnelly's big crash at Jerez in 1990. http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAkRvc9syoo

His leg. :shock:
  • Urgh that Malarchuk video is horrendous, makes me feel sikc watching it. The blog is pretty toe curling, about how he thought we was a gonna
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    Indeed...I've got a permanent photo of the moment of impact with the marshall lodged in the brain....along with another of Lorenzo Bandini sat in his car after two minutes at Gas Mark 38!! :(

While we're talking about Formula 1, here's a report about Martin Donnelly's big crash at Jerez in 1990. http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAkRvc9syoo

His leg. :shock:
    Holy hell, I'd never heard of/seen that one. :shock: