Disc brake pads not retracting

law2rew
law2rew Posts: 4
edited February 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi i'm new here. I've been having problems with my disc brakes (front only) rubbing for some time now. I've read lots of posts on here but can't seem to find a solution. I have a Kona Kula 06 with Hayes HFX 9 hydraulic discs. The pads are in good condition and the rotor is not bent or warped. I have followed instructions in the manual about removing the pads and pushing the calipers back in but it seems whenever i put the wheel back on and pull the brakes the pads come out but dont retract fully which causes rubbing. Any help/advice?? Shops are so expensive to fix something like this and its been ruining my rides for too long :evil: !

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    have the brakes been Bled at any time?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • No they havent been bled.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    well that is that idea out of the window.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Pejay
    Pejay Posts: 7
    The pistons are dirty and not allowing the piston to retract properly when the lever is released, you can try pumping the piston out a short distance, and lubricate the piston with brake fluid, then push the pistons back, repeat as necessary, be careful it is very easy to pump the piston out. They will then require bleeding. Do not use any paraffin based lubricants on the pistons it might make the rubber seals swell.

This should clean the crap off the pistons allowing them to retract properly.

And one last thing, do this without the pads in. you don't want to contaminate the pads.
  • Thanks i'll have a go at doing that tomorrow. What sort of brake fluid is good to use, any suggestions?
  • Pejay
    Pejay Posts: 7
    Hayes brakes uses Dot 3 or Dot 4 you can buy it easy enough from Halfords.