Sore Arse!

mattfinch
mattfinch Posts: 36
edited February 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi guys,

Noob here, just bought his first bike (GT Agressor Xc3 2008) since having one as a kid.

Been out a few times and of course loved it, it makes such a change to ride a bike because you want to, not because you have to to get around.

Anyway, i went for a 10 mile trip this weekend, and i have the most sore arse ever! (Not that i get sore arses alot you understand). Is this something i will get used to? Or saddle too hard? Ive seen these comfor gel type saddles.. but they look pretty crappy compared to the skinny sleek one on the GT... any ideas or should i persevere?

I rode on sunday, and wanted to go out again tonight, but my arse is telling me to give it a rest for a bit longer!

help, my arse needs your advice!

Thanks

Comments

• Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    Were you wearing padded shorts ? If not, get a pair.

The saddle will take a while to bed in, but padded shorts make a huge difference to your comfort...
  • Good idea, anyone recommend a good pair?
  • S_J_P
    S_J_P Posts: 908
    Make sure the saddle height and angle is right to minimise the chance of set-up induced chafing :shock:

There are all sorts of setting systems, but I favor the saddle set to the height where if you pedal with your heels, your heel just about stays in contact with the pedal. Set the saddle horizontal (use a straight-edge such as a piece of wood, pipe, or ruler to get a decent sight-line) and in the centre of it's rails to start with.

Buy yourself a decent pair of padded shorts or padded boxers. You can get some DHB boxers from Wiggle for less than £10, or a pair of linered shorts from the likes of Endura etc for £40 which will do wonders for your behind.

You can also try chamois cream if you're really suffering, but this is really for pukka chafing rather than the bruising of soft bottoms :oops:
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    I also find sitting nice and near the back of the saddle helps
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Nice one cheers guys, hopefully its something i can get used to as well, ive only ridden a few times since restarting!

Would these be the shorts you were talking about SJP?
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... r%20Shorts

Not sure im at the cream stage yet, but will bear it in mind!

Thanks all!!
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    Padded shorts a must if your doing any sort of milage. Your ars* should toughen up though pretty quickly, little and often is best to start with. Try moving saddle forward or backwards as everyone finds a differant position more comfortable, and don't bother with large comfort gel saddles unless you've got a really fat posterior. And finally go out tonight not too far and if it hurts get out the saddle and work your quads!! :lol:
  • S_J_P
    They're the ones!

Alternatively, spend a little more on the lycra cycling shorts and wear 'em under your normal shorts/trousers, or if you're that way inclined you can wear them as your only shorts, and get the road-cyclist feel :shock:

The more expensive lycra shorts are more versatile and offer better protection and feel, along with keeping you warm in the winter. You can also use them under dedicated cycling baggies if and when you go that route.

Wiggle used to do a very good value 9-panel lycra cycling short from DHB, but I couldn't see it when I just looked.
  • ive just bought a pair of madison cycling sghorts with the padded lycra fitting on the inside, they are very comfy anbd dont have the 80's lycra clad look either!! good value to at £30,
    http://www.ultimatepursuits.co.uk/page. ... duct=81326

i did use an old pair of wetsuit legs over winter to keep me toasty and they leped a lot! but its something that takes a little getting used to!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • strodey
    strodey Posts: 481
    Sounds weird but how big is your arse, if your skinny like me you'll need a thinner saddle!
    Carbon is a mans best freind
  • I would say larger than average! im just over 15 stone... so a bit on the lardy side..

Thanks for teh short recommendations.. think i'll order some today!
  • I've never ridden with padded shorts but this thread has pushed me into ordering some. Which have you looked at Matt so far? any good deals on them?
  • Ive just ordered this pair from Wiggle:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.a ... r%20Shorts

Only a tenner, and i figured i didnt need anything more than that at this stage.

Ive got hundreds of pairs of riding shorts (non padded obviously) so i'll where a pair of boxers, then these, then the over shorts (to look cool obviously!) So no-one has to see you wearing a pair of lycra shorts.. well i wouldnt wish anyone seeing me in a pair of them!

And basically see how it goes!
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Ummm, don't wear anything under them. Honestly.

I know i'm a girl but same logic - it'll chafe where you definitely DON'T want chafing :wink:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • S_J_P
    You definitely don't want to be wearing anything beneath the padded shorts, they're designed to be next to your skin, wicking away the nasty sweat and cradling in soft bits in padded luxury.
  • Strange as it may seem, hard saddles are often more comfy than soft squishy ones, at least on longer rides. Your a*se-bones (to give them their medical name :wink: ) are designed to take the load, and if they squish into soft padding then the load is transferred to the surrounding soft tissue, which is a bad thing.

One tip - the angle of the saddle is crucial. Just adjusting it a tiny amount up or down at the front can make a huge difference. Try moving it around and see what happens. Also remember you can slide the saddle forward and back on the rails to get the ideal position.
  • Nice one cheers mate... good advice.

Also thanks to all for stopping me putting something under these shorts... could have been a 'costly' mistake! :wink:
  • zero303
    zero303 Posts: 1,162
    Generally 3 to 4 good length rides (10 miles is enough) + padded shorts will see you right, if not, try a new saddle...