hairsprayed grips...

~Adam~
~Adam~ Posts: 65
edited February 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
i have used the hairspray method of making my grips stay on but i have just got some new bars and i would like to know how to get my grips off, should i just use the usual method of using hot water? any help appreciated

Comments

• I usually use something to prize the the grip away from the bar (nothing too sharp - esp with carbon bars) and tip the bike on its side and spill some hot soapy water down there, flip the bike and do the other side and wait about 10 mins and they should come off easy.

Then I soak them for a coupld of mins in hot soapy water, then rinse of with hot water only and bang them back on... easy as. I have never used hairspray only water - and from what I can gather makes me pretty lucky.
  • or if you don't want the old grips, cut them off with a stanley knife
  • Hamkins
    Hamkins Posts: 233
    Use more hairspray.

Get a screwdriver or something, jam it in a little bit under the grip, spray in some hairspray, wiggle it around, spray some more, etc etc and it'll come right off.
  • ~Adam~
    ~Adam~ Posts: 65
    ok thanks guys i will give it a try, i will try the hairspray first.

While im on the subject of bars i wont bother wasting space with another topic, i want my bars sprayed but i always end up making a mess of them, where could i take them to get sprayed? and roughly how much will it cost? thanks again.
  • I use a spoke...poke it in between the grip and bar. Then twist it and it will roll round the bar, breaking the seal between bar and grip as it goes.

Then maybe squirt a bit of GT85 down there as you go.

I used to use hairspray, but have found spray laquer to work much better!
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    As mentioned in another topic on this matter I used to use GT85 to secure my grips. Make sure the grips and bar are clean, drag a paper towel through the grips and wipe the bars and spray a little GT85 into the grip, you'll need to spread it around with your finger, whilst still lubed, slide onto your bars. Now have ditched GT85 for some lock-on grips.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    Ive gone for lock-on's too !

There is a good guide to removing and refitting grips in the video section on the Bikeradar homepage.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    ~Adam~ wrote:
    ok thanks guys i will give it a try, i will try the hairspray first.

While im on the subject of bars i wont bother wasting space with another topic, i want my bars sprayed but i always end up making a mess of them, where could i take them to get sprayed? and roughly how much will it cost? thanks again.

Any sprayer (be it car bodywork, industrial, whatever) will charge you a fortune for a one-off job, unless you know them and can ask them to sneak it in with another job.

Painting is really easy, but you need to be patient and prepare your surfaces properly - if you rush in without degreasing, flatting, etc., you will make an arse of it. Steel bars will be easier than aluminium, as they require less preparation, but just bear in mind that you will increase the diameter of the bars fractionally, especially if you use enamel paint or a build primer to mask any scratches.

Really, by the time that you've bought all the materials that you'll need to do a proper job (or send them away for spraying), you'll probably be looking at the thick end of £20 - you might as well put that towards a new set of bars.
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic