shimano chain sram powerlink

mrback
mrback Posts: 3
edited February 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi to all
First post so be gentle :)
I recently fitted a race face bash guard, replacing the outer ring as never use.
I was advised to take out a couple of links to tighten up the slack in the chain.
Did this today & fitted a sram powerlink to the chain, all seemed ok but the chain jumps whilst passing through the rear mech. Have I fitted the powerlink incorrectly?
Dont want to be eating pavement is all.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what colour link did you fit? and how many gears on the rear.

it should be fine but it is not recommended.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • hi, it's a gold coloured link. Nine speed cassette on the rear. Am I best just replacing the chain to be on the safe side? Will I need to replace the cassette if I replace the chain?
    thanks for your advice :)
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the gold should be ok.

is it on the power link that it is jumping or do you have a stiff link somewhere?

if you want to change the chain fine if the cassette is not too worn.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • dave_s
    dave_s Posts: 4,362
    It's quite difficult to fit a powerlink incorrectly, it would be really obvious if it hadn't clicked into place on both plates and you need to line them up to connect it really anyway.

As Nick says, might be just a tight link so slowly turn the crank until your rear mech skips and check each link in that section of chain to see if any of them are a bit tight and loosen the link off with your chain tool on the inner setting.

If you've had your cassette for quite a while, it's always best to change it at the same time as your chain too.
    Dave S
  • Jimbob_no5
    Jimbob_no5 Posts: 1,568
    the chain could be too tight
    found this out when i did it on mine
    Pinkbike

I believe in only 2 things in life.
    1) Drink is not my friend
    2) D-Locking cnuts ;)
  • CupraR
    CupraR Posts: 17
    Is it ok then to fit a SRAM Powerlink onto a Shimano chain?

I currently have a 9 Speed Shimano chain and wanted to fit a Powerlink to it, but a mate of mine said he didn't think they were compatible.
  • CupraR
    Is it ok then to fit a SRAM Powerlink onto a Shimano chain?

I currently have a 9 Speed Shimano chain and wanted to fit a Powerlink to it, but a mate of mine said he didn't think they were compatible.

Also, I think the chain maybe too long, it's a new bike I have just bought, and I know you shouldn't ride this way, but when on the granny ring It will not go onto the smallest gear on the cassette, the rear derrailer just fowls onto the cassette and won't turn?
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    yes powerlink on Shimano is fine but get the right sort (I had an 8 speed link on a 7 speed chain - too tight, difficult to remove)
  • CupraR
    i have bin running this set up a while now and i havent had any problems
    (9 speed shimano xt chain with a sram gold link)
    makes it great for cleaning s****y chains
    easy on and off
    a little tip at first,bend a metal coat hanger into a s shape to help with the tention
    and thread it into the chain eather side of the link ,it will make it easier to connect the link
    hope this is of help 8)
  • CupraR
    Cheers guy's. Yep, I had got a Gold 9speed powerlink, but when he said he wasn't sure of compatilbility I didn't fit it.

The only chain breaker I have is the Alien 2, this comes with a nicely bent piece of wire already.

Thanks again
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    mr_si wrote:
    yes powerlink on Shimano is fine but get the right sort (I had an 8 speed link on a 7 speed chain - too tight, difficult to remove)
    7 and 8 speed chains are the same width. :wink: