Newbie seeks knowledge

HixX
HixX Posts: 90
edited February 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi all, just joined and seeking some advice.
I've had a marin pine mountain since 1999 which I really like but thought it was about time I bought a new bike, so I think I'm gonna get a marin indian fire trail. Bad or good choice?
I dont do loads of uphill/downhill stuff as im too unfit, :( but im working on getting fitter so the the uphill bits dont make me feel like i want to kill myself, im also not a great technical rider, but hoping to improve this too. I know theres debate on HT v FS, if I do improve do you think a HT was a good choice, or should I spend the 1500 quid on something else?
Oohhh me legs hurt !!

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    if i had 1500 to spend, it would be on a full sus. something like a stumpjumper perhaps.

they are widely regarded as th fastest way around any given route, are more comfortable and less exhausting. gone are the days when full sus bikes were wallowy strength sapping behemoths.

if you really want a hardtail, and there are plenty of advantages (lighter weight, less maintenance, more direct drive etc etc) the marin looks a good choice. but dont write full sus off without at least giving a couple a test ride.

as i said, look at stumpjumpers and the trek fuel range. also giant's trance and trance x look like ace bikes for the money.
  • Random Vince
    Random Vince Posts: 11,374
    riding a hardtail will make you a better technical rider, however you can get a lot of bike for £1500 in both hardtail and full sus
    My signature was stolen by a moose

that will be all

trying to get GT James banned since tuesday
  • I have one (Indian Fire Trail) and it's one of the best hardtails I have ever ridden (and there have been a few)

Once you test one you won't want to give it back.
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    with £1500 i'd get about a £1000 of hardtail goodness something like a fully upgraded Merlin Malt 4 here,
    http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=produ ... egoryId=39 with full 08 xt kit with xt hubs or hope proII hubs on 719 rims with dt db spokes or this with the same upgrades,
    http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=produ ... egoryId=38 or this if you fancy steel,
    http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=produ ... egoryId=38 best try em all out first though :)

then with the £500'ish over i'd get some really good riding kit, helmet, gloves, camelbak, toolkit, medikit, pedals, shoes, shorts, trousers, jerseys, windstoppers, waterproofs, lights, better tyres, innertubes, pump etc etc etc it all adds up very quickly! then with a lovely hardtail and great kit for all conditions any riding will be fun.

well that's what i did last march :D
  • HixX
    mmm...true, I dont have a lot in the way of kit. All I have is a lid, pump and gloves.
    Oohhh me legs hurt !!
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    I second dunker, grand or so on a hardtail, get your skill level up, and rest on kit.

Have heard good things about the Indian Fire Trail though, (or maybe Cheesey's just brainwashing us all!!! :lol: )
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    You would get an awesome Hardtail at that price but its also in the range of some excellent full suspension machines,especially if you go for a discounted 2007 model.
    Ride a few and see what you think !
  • Random Vince
    Random Vince Posts: 11,374
    a friend of mine has an indian fire trail which i've ridden a few times before buying my inbred, (the geometry is similar hence me getting the inbred) it sits up there with my favorite hardtails:

Orange P7 (quite an old hard tail belonging to another friend)
    Marin Indian fire trail
    On one inbred
    My signature was stolen by a moose

that will be all

trying to get GT James banned since tuesday
  • I take it you're referring to the pre-07 models (Fire Trail)

New ones are massively different to the old style ones which were also good - the 1994/5 IFTs are my favorite bikes ever :D
  • HixX
    No, the 08 IFT.
    That Marin in your flicker link is seriously bling-ed. Looks real nice!!
    Oohhh me legs hurt !!
  • Cps
    Cps Posts: 356
    Don't know if its good or bad but if you buy online at pedalon.co.uk you get a credit to buy a shed load of accesories. So better bike and all the kit!!!

Has anyone on here actually used them ?
  • HixX wrote:
    No, the 08 IFT.
    That Marin in your flicker link is seriously bling-ed. Looks real nice!!

Thanks man

I have an 2007 Indian Fire Trail that's even better.... full race kit/carbon - (sub-22 lb in weight) :wink:

Finishing it off then shall be put in linky!

This was it a few months back (and it's much better spec now):
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/1349687/

:D
  • Cheesey wrote:
    I take it you're referring to the pre-07 models (Fire Trail)

New ones are massively different to the old style ones which were also good - the 1994/5 IFTs are my favorite bikes ever :D

T'was referring to RandomVince's comparison of the IFT to an inbred - the new ones are nothing like inbreds hence above question...

the old IFTs were a total different geometry/ride to the new IFTS
  • HixX
    Soz Cheesy. Do you mean they are different in a good way?
    Oohhh me legs hurt !!
  • The old IFT had a more classic feel and was a legend - very taught with a higher riding position (I am going way back here)

The new (07 onwards) are something else - new tubing, lighter weight and they rocket - in my eyes better than any previous incarnation - something else.

I always think that Marin should showcase two models - the standard Trail and an XC race machine - that's where it excels - frame comes in at just over 3 lbs and suits low weight go faster kit.

:D

When you ride one it will make perfect sense - please try one out before making any decisions! :D
  • HixX
    Cheers Cheesy, I test rode one on Saturday and it felt real good, a really different feel than my pine mountain, felt more planted somehow?
    Its has some real nice kit on it, mainly XT. I think I might go for the XT shifters instead of the LX if I go for it, apart from that it has all I need.
    Oohhh me legs hurt !!
  • If you buy it defo go XT as the LX kit lets it down massively. Keep the LX front mech as it won't make any difference but change shifters (haggle a deal with dealer)

Rest of the kit is top notch like most marin's

One upgrade to make (seriously makes a difference) is a FSA K-Force carbon riser bar (can get the cheap now - about £45) tops it off a treat.

As I went 'race mode' on my upgrade the only thing original left is the stem, frame and forks.

But for general trail riding it's a great bike - and fast! :wink:
  • dunker
    xt shifters gets my vote too, the lx work alright but i'd rather have the xt alloy over the lx plastic, probably my next upgrade :)
  • HixX
    Chers guys, I will ring them today and see what deal can be struck.
    Oohhh me legs hurt !!
  • HixX
    £30 for the move to XT shifters. Cool! Picking it up this Saturday. Cant wait !!
    Oohhh me legs hurt !!
  • HixX
    My next question (sorry) is about pedals. The IFT comes with Shimano M520s fitted. I have never ridden with SPDs and to be honest dont like the idea of being clipped to a pedal.
    How much better or worse are SPD for XC/trail riding?
    Do I :
    a) get over it, buy some compatible footwear and get used to them.
    b) stick em on a well know auction site and buy some decent "normal" pedals.

Thanks
    Oohhh me legs hurt !!
  • Amos
    Amos Posts: 438
    I still ride flats at the moment but will be moving to spds in a couple of months when my new bike is ready. To start with its probably best to ride flats while you get use to the new bike, but eventually spds will be the way to go. They are better for XC than flats.
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    Do a search on this site for SPD and you'll see the pro , cons. Personally I love them and found they didntt take long to get used to.
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Flats to start, maybe go SPD when you are used to the bikes handling. I still use flats, you can get a good technique.
  • dunker
    flats plus good grippy soles, something like these are top notch,
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=18195
  • lov the scott...any recs for one in the 400 region?
  • HixX
    dunker wrote:
    flats plus good grippy soles, something like these are top notch,
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=18195

They look good!!, any recommendations for SPD compatible?
    Oohhh me legs hurt !!
  • yay - we have another Marin convert (I am starting a cult) :lol:

First of all well done on your purchase - you'll love it!!!

Re: Flats - I ride with flats purely becuase I have a dodgy left ankle and cuased me problems - I would go for something like V12s or the Wellgo versions (exactly the same)
  • HixX
    Cheers Cheesey, I'm not actually a convert, Ive had a Marin since 1999, so no "cult" status just yet ;)
    Oohhh me legs hurt !!
  • Cheesey wrote:
    yay - we have another Marin convert (I am starting a cult) :lol:

First of all well done on your purchase - you'll love it!!!
    You can convert me if you want. Just enclose a cheque for the £700 extra to buy an Attack Trail and I'll be yours forever.