Antibiotics

term1te
term1te Posts: 1,462
edited February 2008 in Pro race
I had a nasty bought of pneumonia over the New Year, only got back on the bike in the last couple of weeks. I was on some pretty large antibiotics, wasn’t sure which end they went, so swallowing them seemed the best option :?

Since them my finger nails seem to have changed colour, they’ve gone much whiter than before. I only noticed when a normal pink band appeared from the nail bed. There is now about 3 mm of normal coloured nail at the base. Someone suggested it could have been the antibiotics that turned the nails white. Someone else helpfully suggested liver disease. I’d like to stick to the antibiotics suggestion. Has anyone ever heard of this happening?

Comments

• cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    erm...........

give your doctor a call?
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Cajun
    Cajun Posts: 1,048
    Until you can see the GP....
    http://wrongdiagnosis.com/sym/white_nails.htm

If you think your liver may have been affected by the antibiotics, you can also try some Milk Thistle (Silymarin) from your local Health Food shop while waiting to see the GP.... non-toxic and can assist in detoxifying the liver. It's known help protect from Hepatitas A&B..
    http://www.nutrasanus.com/milk-thistle.html
    Cajun
  • Go and have a chat with your pharmacist who supplied the antibiotics. I doubt if its a side effect, but without you specifying which its hard to give a definitive answer.

Philip
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    Thanks for the comments.

We love a good cartel here in Switzerland, so the doctor sells you the drugs as well as prescribing them. I'm loathed to go back to the doctor, I'm still waiting for the bill on the pneumonia, I'm expecting it to be near the 1,500 Franc excess on the medical insurance! Still you get what you pay for, "when would it be convenient for you to see the doctor?"

I can't remember the name of the antibiotics, they weren't penicillin derived, as I'm allergic to those. They were very big, and made in the factory 600 m from my house.

The nails seem to be growing back normally, and I feel fine otherwise. I’ll try to see the company doc next time he is here.