First race - good bike or winter bike

Floodcp
Floodcp Posts: 190
edited February 2008 in Pro race
Going to do my first open road race on Sunday but just wondered what the thoughts were regarding using my good bike so early in the year. Would it be best to stick with the winter bike.

Any thoughts??

Flood

Comments

• Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Good bike - is it because of the weather or the thought of smashing the best bike in a crash ?

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Did a time trial yesterday on my winter bike with tri bars on.
  • Floodcp
    Bit of both really. Not sure I could afford to total my good bike but also wouldnt want it covered in salt etc.
    But the good bike is significantly lighter than my winter bike.

A dilemma I know
  • Just unleash the good bike... that's what it's for!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Does your winter bike not have guards on then ?
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I did my first race last year on my winter bike - with the mudguards removed - for similar reasons. After that I realised that there's no point in making it any harder than it already is and rode the rest of the season on the best bike.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    Floodcp wrote:
    Bit of both really. Not sure I could afford to total my good bike but also wouldnt want it covered in salt etc.
    A decent wash afterwards will get rid of any salt well before it does any damage. Use the good bike, it's what you bought it for surely?
  • BMCCbry
    BMCCbry Posts: 153
    8) Good bike!

I had the same dilemma weekend before last and was relieved I took the good one. :)
  • aarw
    aarw Posts: 448
    I lined up for a reliability trial at the weekend on my winter bike (mudgaurds, 27mm tyres, the lot...). I was standing beside someone with a zipp 808 rear and 404 front.

I was mentally phyched out before we even turned the pedals...

use your race bike. it's the reason it was built in the first place!
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    I reckon use your good bike..

if your worried about crud getting in to the cables under the crank etc just get some marine grease on em and anywhere else your worried about. Once your done riding then give it a good wash with some johnsons baby bath and warm water - as long as you dry and re-lube after washing you will be fine.. one of the best bits of cycling is the cleaning afterwards getting it ready for the next ride.. also gives time to reflect ..
    cartoon.jpg
  • Floodcp
    thanks for the advice

Looks like it should be the good bike. I took it down from the hangers last night and realised there is a massive difference in weight so I guess it will be of benefit.

Also just been up the two main climbs in my planned second race and decided it would definetly be better on the good bike.

Cheers

Flood