Rear Derailler Hanger

James Garner
James Garner Posts: 8
edited February 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
To Whom It MAy Concern,

I am a beginner with mountain bikes. I have just completed my own service on my MTB and sorted out a few problems however, stupid me took of the derailler at the back. It fits on behind the wheel nut. When undoing the screw on the derailler which sits next to the wheel nut, a washer came off the back of the derailler however when I put it back on, every time I hang the derailler back on behind the wheel nut and tighten the wheel nut, it just pops out again. Serves me right for doing it when I don't really know what I'm doing but can you advise? It's probably something really stupid that I am not doing correctly. My bike is a British Eagle Trailbreaker.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    pictures please.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Hi Nicklouse,

I will issue to yuo in an email as unsure how to send attachments via forum post.

Hope this helps.
  • nicklouse
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12558470 how to add pictures.

the locating bolt on the mech is just that an alignment/locating bolt so that the mech hangs at the correct angle . if when you tighten the Axel bolt it is jumping out then something is bent.

But as it is such a long time since i have looked at on of those mechs.

oh and it looks like the "nut" is on the wrong way round. the washer part should be on the inside not the middle.

Have fun.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Thanks Nicklouse. I will i'm sure. I have tried it both ways and it is the biggest pain in the arse!!! Hopefully I'll get that shimano XT groupset one day LOL!

James
  • nicklouse
    Well the bad news is that you will not be able to fit XT to that frame.