Food & Drink on Plane

bjlyons
bjlyons Posts: 38
edited March 2008 in Tour & expedition
Hi all!

I'll be taking my bike on a plane for the first time in a couple of weeks and I'm wondering whether anyone could advise me on taking powdered drink sachets and energy bars with me? Will I be OK with them in my luggage or bike bag?

I could do with taking a decent pump with me too, if I tape a track pump to the frame will it pass as part of the bike?

I'm also open to any advice at all on the process ahead, I'm planning on getting pipe lagging to cover the frame, and I'm thinking of sticking some light wood or similar between the forks, but anything else would be helpful!

Thanks

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    You'll be fine on all of the above. But are you really going to lug a track pump with you? (OK I guess you may be doing day-rides from one base). Check out the ToPeak Mountain Morph - which isn't light but is as good a pump as you are likely to get without lugging a track pump around.

You could also try and scrounge some plastic frame protectors from your LBS but wood will do the job too.

I always remove my rear mech for travelling. If you have disc brakes it's worth removing the discs and taking the levers off the bars.
  • Thanks for the reply Andy. No disc brakes but I'll remove the mech like you say and wrap it up in bubble wrap or something.

I'll look into a pump too, I have a heavy track pump that I don't really want to take, and a tiny pump on my frame that works fine, but no pressure gauge on it.
  • bof
    bof Posts: 372
    bjlyons wrote:
    Hi all!

I'll be taking my bike on a plane for the first time in a couple of weeks and I'm wondering whether anyone could advise me on taking powdered drink sachets and energy bars with me? Will I be OK with them in my luggage or bike bag?

Thanks

I'd avoid WHITE powder!
    The artist formally known as boring old fart