Adjusting Hydraulic Brakes

j1mb0
j1mb0 Posts: 35
edited February 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi, I'm pretty new to Hydraulic brakes only got my first bike with them this week, which makes me a total noobie :lol: after a few days of use, the brakes seamed to have loosened. I brought my bike (Mongoose Tyax Super 08) from wiggle and it arrive perfectly I checked it over and no problems breaks were solid just how i like them, he he any help on tightening the disk brakes would be much appreciated,there are a few pictures below click them to make them bigger, thank you
Jim

th_DSC00060.jpg
th_DSC00059.jpg
th_DSC00057.jpg
th_DSC00056.jpg
Mongoose Tyax Super 08

Comments

• tmg
    tmg Posts: 651
    what do you mean by loosened?

The calipers, the rotors have come lose? Or the feel of them has loosened?
  • j1mb0
    edited February 2008
    Hi thanks for the reply, the front brake doesn't feel as sharp it basically seems like it isn't pushing tightly against the disk. Thanks

Jim
    Mongoose Tyax Super 08
  • Hey mate, nice bike! I suggest you check under the brake leavers for a dial, I think they might have one. Rushing this post a bit but look for adjustments or dials.

I shouldn't think you would have to bleed the brakes as there new and should be perfect!
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite 2010
    Mongoose Tyax Elite 2007
    Carrera Limited Edition TDF

Full suspension - King of the forest!

If anyone rides in Sulham Wood give me a shout :).
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    The brakes will need breaking in before they perform to their full potential.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • j1mb0
    edited February 2008
    Hi thanks for the reply s guys i have taken a look and i cant see any dials on the handlebars or brakes only screws going to where the fluid is,

Ive take a few more photos, thanks

th_DSC00063.jpg
    th_DSC00062.jpg
    th_DSC00061.jpg
    Mongoose Tyax Super 08
  • joed05
    joed05 Posts: 794
    by the way its a brake, not a break. what brakes are they, they look like avid 3's to me but i'm not sure. maybe you need to space the disc properly, between the fork and the caliper
    Best quote ever (pinkbike): "i've heard that Hill pees, deffecates, vomits and masturbates before each race to keep the weight down"
  • j1mb0
    Sorry about the spelling mistake have only been speaking English for 2 years

Promax Q3 it says on the side :)
    Mongoose Tyax Super 08
  • j1mb0
    joed05 wrote:
    by the way its a brake, not a break. what brakes are they, they look like avid 3's to me but i'm not sure. maybe you need to space the disc properly, between the fork and the caliper

Ive only had it a few days from wiggle so i assume they have setup the breaks :P correctly how would i go about checking the disc is correctly spaced ??

Thanks
    Jim (noob)
    Mongoose Tyax Super 08
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    this might help you a little:

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=126

You haven't got any oil or grease on the rotor have you? even a fingerprint can reduce the braking power. If you have you will need to clean the rotor with IPA (IsoPropylAlchol) or Meths.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • j1mb0
    Andy_B wrote:
    this might help you a little:

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=126

You haven't got any oil or grease on the rotor have you? even a fingerprint can reduce the braking power. If you have you will need to clean the rotor with IPA (IsoPropylAlchol) or Meths.

Hi thanks for that, i think i may have air in my tubes :cry::cry: as i have had the bike upside down i need to get a stand :( how do i remove the air so i can get my brakes working again :D thanks alot ,, (my rear break works after 5mins upright, front doesn't)

Also, my rear disk is still rubbing on 1 of the pads and honestly i was sitting there for 2 hours slowly moving the caliper, is it possible that i may have to ware them down a bit until i can get it centered ??

Thanks
    Jim
    Mongoose Tyax Super 08
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you will not need to bleed the brakes.

just adjust the lever.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • j1mb0
    nicklouse wrote:
    you will not need to bleed the brakes.

just adjust the lever.

Thanks for the quick reply :)
    Mongoose Tyax Super 08
  • j1mb0
    Thanks for the reply s guys "nicklouse" that was the information i needed thanks alot :) problem solved, why was the disc touching the pads ?? Well i forgot to say that i had fixed a puncture on the back tire, i must have squeezed the brake :( cant remember doing it tho :D Problem solved thanks again for everyones help
    Mongoose Tyax Super 08