Rapha Andy Hampsten tribute jersey!

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited March 2008 in Pro race
Oh man, I must have one

Andy was definately my favourite rider in 87/88/89.

I hope they do one for fat non-cyclists :?
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    A hundred and twenty quid!!!??? Is he 'avin a laugh?

Have you heard the Competitors Radio interview with Hampsten? You'll enjoy it.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • HarryB
    HarryB Posts: 197
    £120? You're kidding right.

Rapha is one of thegreatest marketing scams of all tikme but even for them this one is a real triumph.

How much do you suppose this top costs to make? £10-£15 tops.
  • iainf72
    Let's not turn it into an anti-Rapha thread.

If you won't spend £120 on a jersey, fine, you're not their target market.

No need to get worked up about it.
  • DaveyL
    Competitor Radio interview with Andy Hampsten

http://www.competitorradio.com/shows/55 ... 50min53sec).mp3

Do check it out. Though I am about to post one that might be even better...
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Il Passo di Gavia, indeed.

I've always felt sorry for Erik Breukink who actually won the stage but doesn't even get a mention anymore.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • I like it. Im a rapha tart. Ill buy one :D

If anyone wants to not buy one, thats ok with me, but its my money, and if I want to buy an overpriced overdesigned and overmarketed pink shirt then thats my business. :mrgreen:
  • DaveyL
    Hamspten talks a fair bit about Breukink in the interview - he won the stage by 7 seconds, from an early break.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    It was a great ride. Hampsten used his brain and wore warm clothes which gave him a real advantage in the cold weather. I think Kimmage's Rough Ride book tells how the Irishman had to stop halfway on the descent and pee on his hands to warm them up. It's ironic they're doing a short-sleeve jersey.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    When, ahem, if I want to pretend to be Andy Hampsten, I'd wear this:

http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?ID=1645

25 quid! A snip
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • HarryB
    HarryB Posts: 197
    Mr Rapha must be laughing his cap off. That'll be his 40 quid cap of course.
  • murcof
    murcof Posts: 30
    Sorry, but I'm a Rapha basher here. They're taking you for a ride asking for £120. It's one of the ugliest jerseys I've ever seen, so what if it says Andy Hampsten on it!
  • iainf72
    murcof wrote:
    Sorry, but I'm a Rapha basher here. They're taking you for a ride asking for £120. It's one of the ugliest jerseys I've ever seen, so what if it says Andy Hampsten on it!

Murcof - You may be a musical genius and I adore your albums, but sir, you have no taste in clothes.
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    I do find it so so funny that 'designer' has worked its way in to cycle clothing. How do Rapha stay in business, some gullible peeps must be buying this stuff. If i was gonna be able to afford those prices i'd get assos. But i can't, so i'll shaddap!
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    I'd love one too, but Rapha overprices everything. That jersey should be 1/3 that price.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Moomaloid wrote:
    I do find it so so funny that 'designer' has worked its way in to cycle clothing. How do Rapha stay in business, some gullible peeps must be buying this stuff. If i was gonna be able to afford those prices i'd get assos. But i can't, so i'll shaddap!

same way there are designer bikes. Pinarello have the'must have' Prince and Colnago had the 'must have' C40/C50. If you haven't owned Rapha you can't really comment. it's as good as Assos but tries to be different. You don't have to buy it. But just the amount of publicity they get on the forum means they are doing something right.
    M.Rushton
  • iainf72
    Moomaloid wrote:

But you see, you're just falling for hype in a different way - You'll accept the Assos price tag because you think it's "technical" rather then "looks" you're paying for.

I buy Rapha but I'm not gullible at all. Remember, things cost what they do because that's what people will pay for them, not because that's what they're worth. Selling a premium product is never really a bad idea.
  • rustychisel
    rustychisel Posts: 3,444
    perchance they're aiming at the cashed up American market...
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    I\'m only escaping to here because the office is having a conniption
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    iainf72 wrote:
    Moomaloid wrote:

But you see, you're just falling for hype in a different way - You'll accept the Assos price tag because you think it's "technical" rather then "looks" you're paying for.

I buy Rapha but I'm not gullible at all. Remember, things cost what they do because that's what people will pay for them, not because that's what they're worth. Selling a premium product is never really a bad idea.

I accept it because the kit works AND looks well compared to a lot of other stuff out there is better, but I'm also aware that a company charges what the market will bear or they think they can get away with
    M.Rushton
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    I'm all for premium cycling products. Spend your money on bike stuff instead of your car or hifi equipment. If the kit is good and you can afford it, great.

It's the "faux" nature of it. Hampsten won a great race but because he was English speaking and won in a blizzard, it's worth of commemorating with a retro jersey? Remember, you are not buying something historical, it was made this year. It's like those "commemorative" plates, carriage clocks and dish clothes you see advertised in magazines:
    3b01_2.JPG
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Damn thats a mighty fine example!! :wink:
  • Johnny G
    Johnny G Posts: 348
    That's my mum's mug! (the item of china, not the face on it :roll: )
  • The irony of posting a picture of a mug to prove a point in a thread about a £120 Rapha s/s jersey :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    this is all I could think of when I saw the £120 price

ieee_cartoon.jpg
    cartoon.jpg
  • ricadus
    ricadus Posts: 2,379
    The orange jersey with black band would be my preference, I think.

The Hampsten thing kind of reminds me of those T-shirts with OXFORD UNIVERSITY across the front that Japanese tourists might buy.

Anyway he won the Gavia stage because of his (then) hi-tech choice of clothing material, rather than retro - e.g. his team were the only ones with neoprene gloves.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    The irony of posting a picture of a mug to prove a point in a thread about a £120 Rapha s/s jersey :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    Now there is a shop in Knightsbridge London that will sell that jersey for $500/£240 to people that never count money as it is too vulgar. It's owned by a little Egyptian.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • iainf72
    deejay wrote:
    Now there is a shop in Knightsbridge London that will sell that jersey for $500/£240 to people that never count money as it is too vulgar. It's owned by a little Egyptian.

Wait a minute, people actually count money? I thought that was just a story that chuggers make up?

:lol:
  • I would buy one if I had the money, but I dont. So I buy what I can afford.
  • ricadus wrote:
    Anyway he won the Gavia stage because of his (then) hi-tech choice of clothing material, rather than retro - e.g. his team were the only ones with neoprene gloves.
    LangerDan wrote:

I've always felt sorry for Erik Breukink who actually won the stage but doesn't even get a mention anymore.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    ricadus wrote:
    LangerDan wrote:

By the time the 40th Anniversary comes around, Rapha will be marketing a set of pink-lined neoprene gloves, hand-woven by artisans from the skins of new-born neops trapped on the slopes of the Gavia to commemorate Andy Hampsten, the only finisher of the 1988 Giro.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'