Calorie Question

Jamey
Jamey Posts: 2,152
edited February 2008 in Health, fitness & training
Let's imagine a bloke called Mr Average.

Mr Average burns up 2500 calories per day just doing whatever he normally does, without any exercise whatsoever. That works out to be about 100 calories per hour but if we assume that you burn more calories in the daytime than you do while you're asleep then let's say that Mr Average burns 125 calories per hour while he's awake and doing normal, average stuff.

(It doesn't matter if you disagree with these numbers, as you'll see if you read to the end).

So, he burns 125 calories per hour when not exercising.

Now I've seen someone on here mention that calm, leisurely cycling on flat roads equates to about 400 calories per hour burnt. Again, it doesn't matter if you disagree with the exact numbers, just keep reading.

Now then, if Mr Average goes cycling for one hour, does that mean he burns 400 calories on top of the 125 he would have burnt if he didn't go cycling (so 525 calories burnt in total)? Or does he only burn 275 extra calories compared to if he had stayed at home (400 minus the 125 he would burn regardless)?

Comments

• Cps
    Cps Posts: 356
    Most sites I have seen would add the activity calories to the normal daily calorie burn - I guess the figures may well have been already factored with the daily usage

off topic - I just had a quick look at you pictures and I think they are excellent - have you studied photography or is it just a hobby - - either way imho you got talent!!!
  • Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    Thank you very much. It's mainly just a hobby although I do try to do a fair amount of reading-up on things and I have done a couple of small jobs for people and sold a few prints.

Thanks for the answer. That's what I was wondering - whether the boffins already factor normal calorie burn into their figures.
  • Barrie_G
    Barrie_G Posts: 479
    I wouldn't have thought that the normal calories would be factored in, and would assume that the 400 calories per hour is the total amount of calories burnt, i.e. only the 275 extra.

When measuring the calorie output the test subject would have been wired up to all sorts of machines which would indicate the total calorific expenditure and this would be the figure quoted.