Thetford Forest

nonnac85
nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
edited February 2008 in XC and Enduro
Is there enough there (with other activities e.g. Go Ape) to keep me plus kid cousin busy for a weekend - we normally ride at chicksands on trails, small jumps, northshore. I looked at the 4 trails on the FC website - does anyone know if there are other bike related things to do e.g. jumps, northshore etc?

Also does anyone know of any decent (and cheap!) campsites in/near Thetford forest?

Thanks in advance :-)
My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time

Comments

• Dan67
    Dan67 Posts: 658
    not so much really northshore. The new section on the red "tightrope" which Timber (local trail building group) have done has small bits of northshore on it but nothing big or long. Thetford is more renound for its fast swopping singletrack really. But erosion at the moment is a big problem when it is wet but at the moment its is pretty dry there
  • HAven't been to go ape, but I'm told that's it's really good team building. a mate of mine took his girly girl girlfriend there and they loved it.

the trails at high lidge are okay. black route is about 11km, when I'm taking my time it takes me four hours or 2 if I'm training so I wouldn't leave a day for it. Some sweet bomb holes though that's worth spinning out time. There's a nice cafe at the visitors centre too so you could black route in the morning then do the red route. they've recently put some new jumps/obstacles in the red route which makes it quite fun and it's rumoured there's a bombhole, but despite the claims of my friends, I thought red route was just a bit flat.

Thetford trails are good single track, but remember tehre are no climbs or downhills, just a few decent technical sections (Watch out for `the beast` at the end of the black route - so much fun1)
    Train hard, ride easy
  • nonnac85
    thanks for the info r.e. trails

anyone got any ideas about places to camp overnight nearby?
  • Dan67
    Dan67 Posts: 658
    no new bomb hole on the red as far as im aware
  • Content removed [/Mod]

anyhoo, knettishal is a forrest just east of Thetford so you're likely to find something thare
    Train hard, ride easy
  • nonnac85
    thanks - will get googling now i know where (and where not) to look.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    i love thetford as its not too taxing but loads of fun, true there is no downhill on it but the flip side is that there is no uphill either!!

there is a bomb hole at the end of the red route, just before you join the final climb (if you can call it that) back towards the car parks. its behind some trees on your right and is one of the bigger holes in the trails.
  • nonnac85
    there is a bomb hole at the end of the red route, just before you join the final climb (if you can call it that) back towards the car parks. its behind some trees on your right and is one of the bigger holes in the trails.

thanks sheepsteeth - will try and remember tp have a look for it
  • that's a rather elusive bomb'ole, I've missed it twice
    Train hard, ride easy
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    its called the squirrel scamper and well worth a little detour. it is marked on the maps :

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/website/ourw ... nBikeRoute

the map is on the right hand side of the page and is pretty good.
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    check out the race courses there as well, the track out in brandon park used for WS4 was awsome in the dry. Managed to get a few slopes in to make some climbs follwed by fast singletrack.

the maps are all on the pages at www.thetfordmtbracing.com
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP