Etiquette on riding a sportive with a bunch of mates

heavymental
heavymental Posts: 2,076
Is it frowned upon for a small group of riders to ride a course together? I mean swapping goes on the front and generally riding together? I don't mean like a TTT (although how would people feel to see a group go past in full echeloning mode?!) but generally together as an obvious group?

Comments

• Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Great, even if I'm not in your group, I can tag on the back for a free ride :wink:
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    My limited experience of sportives suggest it is a bit like a laid-back road race. Groups form, sometimes people are happy to work in them and sometimes people aren't. Sometimes you get a bunch of guys who are happy to drive it on the front, sometimes you get guys in the group who will "encourage" others to take a turn. No-one is going to bother if your mates form a little peloton, though you will no doubt find that a few people decide it's going to be a good idea to tag on the back for a bit of drafting... (see above :D )
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • vermooten
    vermooten Posts: 2,697
    whyever not?
    You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers
  • heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    ok, just wondered. Not sure how these things work.
  • sloboy
    sloboy Posts: 1,139
    Yep - a group riding in a sportive is a bit like a teenage disco. Everyone's dying for someone else to get the party started.

So if you and your mates get a line running, you'll pick up more followers than the Pied Piper of Hamlyn.
  • Doom
    Doom Posts: 133
    Is it frowned upon for a small group of riders to ride a course together?

IMO the one thing you should be aware of, something that I have found that is not done commonly over here, is to warn riders that you overtake that their is a large group coming through.

A perfect example is the London Dynamo boys who terrorise all slower riders in Richmond Park when they come tearng through with no warning. If the slower rider doesnt have a clue how many people are coming or whether it is a group or not they could move off their line with severe and painfull consequences. I have seen a few close calls on my rides in the Park due in particular to the Dynamo boys and girls treating it like their own personal racetrack.

A simple warning of 'Group coming through on right' for example would resolve this.
    FCN: 4
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Some events (Chiltern 100, Highclere Castle ride) are encouraging clubs to enter teams and ride the route together. Just have to ride the hills at the pace of the slowest or wait for dropped riders at the top.

My avatar pic was taken at last years Flanders sportif (the medium distance) when a group of 10 from my club started together. Five of us made it to the finish together, the others having disappeared up the road in search of personal glory. :wink:

Some Italian Gran Fondo clubs ride sportifs like long club runs. Saw a big group of 25 or so at the Tilff-Bastogne-Tilff last year (Team Moretti?) with a support van following them around, all in matching kit..............very classy.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Doom wrote:

IMO the one thing you should be aware of, something that I have found that is not done commonly over here, is to warn riders that you overtake that their is a large group coming through.

A perfect example is the London Dynamo boys who terrorise all slower riders in Richmond Park when they come tearng through with no warning.

Bunch of to$$ers, never ever return a cheery "Morning!"
  • Doom wrote:

A perfect example is the London Dynamo boys who terrorise all slower riders in Richmond Park when they come tearng through with no warning.

Agreed!!!!!
    17 years commuting up and down the King\'s Road and i still don\'t get faster...
  • Doom

While I am sure they are not all this bad they certainly haven't left a very good impression of cyclists to anyone I know. Sad that a any club could actually have a detrimental effect to other cyclists on the road by being so elitist and stuck up.
  • sloboy wrote:
    Yep - a group riding in a sportive is a bit like a teenage disco. Everyone's dying for someone else to get the party started.

So if you and your mates get a line running, you'll pick up more followers than the Pied Piper of Hamlyn.

I like that, and it's so true! That's the best description of a sportive I have ever read! Tow me to Gold woo hoo!
  • sean65
    sean65 Posts: 104

You mean the same arrogant to55ers who proudly state on their web site

"A good pair of cycling shorts is also comfort must, but please note that you do not wear underpants with them - it's not big or clever"

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Just ride with your mates. What's the difference between some mates riding together or a club riding together?

But whatever you do, DON'T wear underpants under your cycle shorts, It's not big and it's not clever. :wink:
  • Brilliant fun riding in your own bunch in a sportive. Six of us rode the GF Campagnolo last year and went, gently, through and off on the flatter bits. All the Italian clubs were at it.

We swapped leads and work with a few Italian clubs and had a great time.

Regards

Alan
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    Doom wrote:
    [
    A perfect example is the London Dynamo boys who terrorise all slower riders in Richmond Park when they come tearng through with no warning. If the slower rider doesnt have a clue how many people are coming or whether it is a group or not they could move off their line with severe and painfull consequences. I have seen a few close calls on my rides in the Park due in particular to the Dynamo boys and girls treating it like their own personal racetrack.

A simple warning of 'Group coming through on right' for example would resolve this.
    Wow thats an exageration. I'm not an LD member but have have ridden with the Dynamo fast groups on at laest 3/4 occassions this year.

1. On all occassions the LD groups have been warned that there are slower riders approaching on the left
    2. Admittedly not everyone shouts it from the roof tops but a call has always been made in the groups i've ridden in to those who are being passed on the left.
    3. In the 1 or 2 faster groups riders are generally concentrating on sticking with the group. Its a very competitive pace so cheery Hello's are not always physically possible.
    4. I don't think they treat RP like a race track they never squeeze past cars like some riders I've seen
    5. I except your point that perhaps informing slow moving groups lots of faster riders are coming through should be made clear all the tiome. A slower rider moved off her line today so I shouted out "coming through" for both hers and the groups benefit
    6. Generally though I think they made a big effort to keep the rides safe
  • Doom
    Toks wrote:
    Wow thats an exageration.

Well its only my opinion but it seems its shared by more than just me.
    Toks wrote:
    I'm not an LD member but have have ridden with the Dynamo fast groups on at laest 3/4 occassions this year.

Not a member and riding with them? Surprised you havent been asked to pay up or face eviction.

Toks wrote:
    1. On all occassions the LD groups have been warned that there are slower riders approaching on the left
    2. Admittedly not everyone shouts it from the roof tops but a call has always been made in the groups i've ridden in to those who are being passed on the left.
    3. In the 1 or 2 faster groups riders are generally concentrating on sticking with the group. Its a very competitive pace so cheery Hello's are not always physically possible.

I am referring to the group not letting other riders know whats about to come past which again only in my opinion can be dangerous.
    Toks wrote:
    4. I don't think they treat RP like a race track they never squeeze past cars like some riders I've seen

Agreed some riders don't have a clue and TBH sharing the park with all those cars makes trying to get a PB round their a bit pointless.
    Toks wrote:
    5. I except your point that perhaps informing slow moving groups lots of faster riders are coming through should be made clear all the tiome. A slower rider moved off her line today so I shouted out "coming through" for both hers and the groups benefit

Yes but YOU did this. I have not to date of 4years of riding round and through the park seen a London Dynamo rider do this. Generalisation that they are all stuck up muppets yes but its my opinion.

Toks wrote:
    6. Generally though I think they made a big effort to keep the rides safe

Well I do hope that they are getting better and are promoting cycling through the ranks. I would welcome it in fact.
  • Doom wrote:

sometimes and sometimes not ... depends on relative pace i think. if a group is coming through quickly relative to the person being overtaken then there is literally only a split second when the person is within earshot (bearing in mind traffic etc.) and shouting at that point is IMO more likely to cause a crash than not shouting ... i.e. person panics when they hear shout, looks round, panics more etc. if relative speeds are similar then i agree it makes sense to say something. and it always makes sense to give people a bit of room.

sounds like those dynamos are pretty fast though ?
  • terongi
    terongi Posts: 318
    sean65 wrote:
    But whatever you do, DON'T wear underpants under your cycle shorts, It's not big and it's not clever. :wink:

Am I supposed to wear my underpants on top of my cycling shorts?