Stich

PJ 101
PJ 101 Posts: 2
edited February 2008 in Health, fitness & training
I've been mountain biking for about 7 years, a couple of times a week. Recently, everytime I go out I get a really bad stich on the right hand side of my body, just below the rib cage. After about 5 minutes of severe pain and rest it goes and then I'm ok for the rest of the ride.

I don't think I am doing anything different to what I have always done, but any tips how to get rid of this?

Cheers

Comments

• jmeadows
    jmeadows Posts: 335
    dont know if this is true or an old wives tale.
    i was told that when you are running and get a stich that whatever side the its on ie. right.
    that you should breath when your right foot hits the floor. so maybe breath in on one stride and in again on another and then out the next and out again if that makes sense?!
    duno if you used the same exercise obviously with pedals if it be of bebefit?
    are you eating or drinking a lot before you go out on the bike?
    never hurts your eyes to look on the bright side of life...
  • toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160
    This works every time (for me anyway):

A stitch usually occours after an intensive effort and I haven't been breathing deeply enough. The theory is that carbon dioxide is trapped in the bottom of the lungs and somehow causes the pain (makes sense because that's where the pain is felt).

The cure? Breathe out fully, and then give an extra push to exhale every possible drop of air from your lungs. I repeat this two or three times.

I was given this tip a couple of years ago and it always works. Do it as soon as you feel the stitch coming on. You may need to reduce your effort whilst doing this as it's not possible to breathe out this deeply whilst breathless.

a serious case of small cogs
  • jmeadows
    jmeadows Posts: 335
    the two mainly believed reasons for stiches are as toontra said the lungs havent emptied the co2 and pulling on the diaphragm from eating/ drinking too much too close to workout, so prob look into both these and see what works. good luck
    never hurts your eyes to look on the bright side of life...