Fred Whitton - advice needed

lightbulb
lightbulb Posts: 111
I got in (sorry). this is first time for me. i have ridden some of the climbs (wrynose, Kirkstone) but not all on the same day, I have a steel audax bike (Hewitt) which is hefty but very comfortable with 28c tyres on it. Would changing to 23c s on the day make any difference or indeed be advisable?

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    There's not a great deal of difference between 23c and 25c, so if you're going down from 28c I'd go for 25c. But I'm not sure how much of difference it would be.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • rhnb
    rhnb Posts: 324
    You say you're current setup is 'comfy', so why change it?
    I don't know what time you're aiming for but 'comfy' on say an 8 hour ride is very important (apologies if you plan to do it in 6). If you changed to 18's, by the time you get to Hardknott at 100 miles, I can guarantee they'll have begun to look like tractor tyres and feel like they weigh more! ;-)

I've done it on a tandem with 'chunky' tyres (that means I've no idea what size they are - 32's?) and I've done it on my road bike with 23's and while I went a tad faster on the road bike the last thing on my mind were the tyres.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you'd feel 'faster' on 23's then maybe that'll give you a psychological lift? Otherwise, just enjoy the day and the suffering.
    ~~~
    http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk
    Cycle tour reports and the home of \'Cycling Before Lycra\'
  • Thanks for that. I suppose when most of it is uphill faster tyres won't make a great deal of difference. I put 28s on because I use the bike for work and lug my laptop and a change of clothes on the rack. I intend not to do that during the Fred of course.
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    Just to give another point of view - I wouldn't dream of tackling a ride of that kind on 28's. I would have thought the performance difference between 28's and 23's is very significant indeed - why make those miles any harder than they are already? Get some decent 23's and they'll make a word of difference. You're not setting out on a ride like that to have a comfy touring ride are you? I could think of easier routes for comfy touring rides!

Ruth
  • Whatever you use, make sure they have good wet grip. Some of the desents can be treacherous in the wet, especially Honister, Hardknot and and Wrynose
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • John C.
    John C. Posts: 2,113
    For what it is worth, I'd say if it's comfortable go with it. having said that if I thought I could get away with removing my seat and seat tube at the bottom of Hardknott to save weight I would . I have three bikes to choose from ,
    My winter hack
    very comfortable but heavy

Kenesis Racelight
    reasonable comfortable 22 lbs but not brilliant brakes (deep drop)

Yellow Peril ( ill Volpe alloy frame with carbon fork)
    harsh ride 20 lbs with Ultegra/105 kit

It's really down to the Kenesis and Yellow Peril , I think it will depend on the day as the Kenesis has mudguards and the Peril doesn't. The Kenesis has the lower gears the Peril has better brakes,
    decisions decisions
    Wish I only had one bike :lol:
    http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
    Hills are just a matter of pace