Anybody interested in a ride coast to coast across the usa?

smf5000
smf5000 Posts: 3
edited March 2008 in Tour & expedition
Starting early May 2008 from Boston and ending in L.A. Following some of the national bicycle route network, estimated time to get across 2 months.

If interested email me at webmaster@health-topic.com

Comments

• mark1956
    mark1956 Posts: 221
    Leaving Boston in early May and arriving in LA in two months means that you will be crossing a fair bit of desert in late June/early July. It might be cooler if you left LA in early May and finished in Boston.
    mark
  • Moose11
    Moose11 Posts: 235
    Anyone on here done it before? What route did you take and how long? What was your thoughts?

It's a lifelong goal of mine that I want to tackle in the next few years.
  • xilios
    xilios Posts: 170
    Moose11 wrote:
    Anyone on here done it before? What route did you take and how long? What was your thoughts?

It's a lifelong goal of mine that I want to tackle in the next few years.

My wife and I are thinking of cycling the US coast to coast (maybe even Canada) in a few years. Here is a site that has plenty of info. http://www.adventurecycling.org/
    Another place to get quite a bit of info is http://www.crazyguyonabike.com it has many journals.
    Also a good place to ask some questions is at http://www.bikeforums.net under Touring.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Just a reminder that the prevailing winds usually come from the west. If it was me I'd
    start on the west coast, but then again I live here and have maybe more of a choice.
    Good luck. I've often thought about it but have yet to get it together.

Dennis Noward
  • Moose11
    Cheers for the links guys. My effort is still a few years away yet unfortunately but it's nice to look into.

As for the direction . . . I just find there to be something more appealing going West than East. I've heard with the Sun setting in the East it's also better to ride with it on your back though I'm not a fan of riding into the wind.
  • bicyclist
    bicyclist Posts: 6
    edited February 2008
    [ I've heard with the Sun setting in the East ] :lol: [/quote]
  • guv001
    guv001 Posts: 688
    The sun sets in the West doesn't it??
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    guv001 wrote:

Maybe for the Irish the sun sets where there want it to. I know that the sun rises and sets
    at my wifes beck and call and she's Irish.

Dennis Noward
  • Moose11
    dennisn wrote:
    guv001 wrote:

Maybe for the Irish the sun sets where there want it to. I know that the sun rises and sets
    at my wifes beck and call and she's Irish.

Dennis Noward

A Typo. Forgive me ye of no mistakes.
    Oh and That's Northern Irish last time I checked. Though you are right, the world does revolve around us.

What I meant to say was because you do most of your riding in the morning and with the Sun RISING in the EAST it tends to be on your back. If your riding into the sun it can cause a glare for drivers who may not realise they are coming up upon you.
  • bigjim
    bigjim Posts: 780
    Steve
    I think you will need to supply more info about yourself. What is your fitness level? What type of bike you are taking and what kind of daily mileage is proposed. Camping or motels etc. What is your age group. Where in the Uk are you? It is the type of thing I would be interested in.

Jim
  • I wish you well - but personally I have about 100000 bike tours in my head that I'd rather do.

You'll have trouble stringing together routes, long super uninteresting stretches, and endless issues with (malicious) cars.

Why not (anywhere else)?

sorry for being negative and again wish you well.
  • I'm thinking of cycling the great divide which is from Banff in Canada to Antelope Wells in New Mexico, some 2500 odd miles :):) the blarb says its the longest off-pavement bike route in the world but when you start reading you see that of course there is bits of it on-road and dirt tracks.

The parts that are appealing to me are on parts where you dont see civilisation for about 3 days or more :) cool! make sure you have enough water!

plenty of sites detailing this route here's one : http://www.glosgreatdivide.co.uk/route.html

adventurecycling.org is great for all routes cycling wise for america.

good luck with it, I wont be doing mine for at least another few years as Im skint and need to save and sort out a few other routes I want to do first (John o'Groats to Lands End via Wales Lon Las Cymru this summer plus up the River Loire from St Nazaire to Le Puy en Velay then over into Spain to do the Camino de Santiago next summer)

if I see you out on the road/trail I'll give a cheery wave :)
    'since the flaming telly's been taken away, we don't even know if the Queen of Englands gone off with the dustman'.
    Lizzie Birdsworth, Episode 64, Prisoner Cell Block H.
  • I cycled across the USA last Summer 2007. Am living in Ireland and flew with the bike.

I went west to east from Seattle to Boston in 45 days. 3661 miles. Supposedly the winds go west to east - this was probably the case more often than not. But I did have a fair share of head wind. I wouldn't let the wind put you off going east to west.

I made reference to the 'Adventure' Cycling Association but I found their documentation very contrived. The maps they produce give details of every campsite and hotel along the route. Surely this takes the 'adventure' out of the whole deal???? Their users seem like the kind of traveler who goes abroad and never takes their eyes out of their lonely planet guides. In addition the quality of the cartography itself is utterly dire. They have some useful information on the site.

I dont agree with Chill888's comments. The American drivers were the safest drivers I have ever come across. Americas great attraction is the wide open spaces and the 'big sky' In addition the people are incredibly friendly. That said they do have their fair share of freaks. I cycled for a while with a 22 year old teacher who was doing the same route - he had 3 bibles but no puncture repair kit.

Go for it !

Feel free to ask me anything further.
    www.cyclingusa.blogspot.com