France & gas canisters?

Stuck on a Giant
Stuck on a Giant Posts: 256
edited March 2008 in Tour & expedition
Another bit of advice needed...

We've just got a gas burner for the Trangia which uses threaded gas canisters. How easy are these to get hold of in France? - I've seen a couple of mentions that suggest they are hard to find, which could prove problematic.

Thanks guys

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    I've just bought one of these adapters as insurance. Assuming of course that I can get a Camping Gaz CV270 cartridge.

adaptorg.jpg
  • Another bit of advice needed...

We've just got a gas burner for the Trangia which uses threaded gas canisters. How easy are these to get hold of in France? - I've seen a couple of mentions that suggest they are hard to find, which could prove problematic.

Thanks guys

They are hard to find as most places sell the type which requires piercing. A good tip is if stuck, go to a DIY store and buy the canisters used for blow torches. These are the same mixture and I believe you can buy a larger clip-on plastic base here which will make these easier to use.
  • Brains
    Brains Posts: 1,732
    I have exactly the same set up as you. Trangia/Gas

We found conventional screw on gas very hard to find, but did manage on a large campsite with a shop and a lot of non-French campers.

Otherwise head for the nearest hardware shop and see what you can find.

I would also take the conventional spirit burner at 20 grams you can afford the weight penalty (I pack mine in a Tupperware tub that fits inside the kettle so it does not smell or pollute the stove)

You can get meths (Alchol de brulier) in many places, camp shops, hardware stores, kitchen shops, chemists and even scrounging it from restaurants who have it for their food heaters. French meths burns hotter tan UK meths
  • psmiffy
    psmiffy Posts: 236
    The camping gaz CV270 are available all over france in builders merchants (brico -whatever)- I have used the used the markhill adaptors shown above for the last 5yrs - they also do an adaptor for piercable cartridges
  • mark1956
    mark1956 Posts: 221
    Does somebody know a US source for the Markill adaptors?
    mark
  • They are made by Vaude so any retail outlet that stocks their products should be able to order one for you.

I\'m pedaling around the world looking for the sunshine that always seems to come my way.
    www.bikepacker.co.uk
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Mark

I'm pretty sure you'll be able to get one from actionoutdoors.co.uk (follow the link in my first post). Postage to the States would be minimal.
  • andymiller wrote:
    I've just bought one of these adapters as insurance. Assuming of course that I can get a Camping Gaz CV270 cartridge.

adaptorg.jpg

You can find them al over france very easily including super markets... the CV470 is the larger version offering better value
  • wasp707
    wasp707 Posts: 116
    Threaded gas canisters are available in all Decathlon stores around France. Log-on to Decathlon.Fr to find their locations.