Cycle path etiquette needed

globetrotter
globetrotter Posts: 503
edited February 2008 in Campaign
I am fortunate enough to live on the beautiful North Wales coast where I regularly cycle along the coastal cycle track. Some parts are dual use and there are sections with separate lanes for pedestrians and cyclists, although I often get pi**ed off, being held up by pedestrians paying no attention to this, I'll always remain polite and patient. If they are walking in the same direction as I'm going with there backs to me I'll shout out a warning "bike" or "Mind your backs" and always thank them. I'm also aware that some people may not be able to hear me and I have to get right up behind them before they are aware.

My rant tho comes from my experience the other day of being a pedestrian walking a long a mile or so of dual use path with my fiance. As we walked along, I was frequently looking back over my shoulder to make sure we didn't get in anybody's way. But on one occasion I looked back, spotted a cyclist, warned my partner and we moved aside. He was not held up, obstructed or slowed down in any way but as he passed he obnoxiously shouted "Cycle Path" at us. What a rude b***tard, no need for it. I hope he hit a pot hole, broke his wheel and had to walk home! :evil:

Comments

• Random Vince
    Random Vince Posts: 11,374
    leave him alone, he was probably abused as a child
    My signature was stolen by a moose

that will be all

trying to get GT James banned since tuesday
  • leave him alone, he was probably abused as a child

He may have been dropped on his head as well.
    The more popular cycling becomes the more obnoxious idiots there are on two wheels. This affects our reputations and is a double edged sword. :?
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    Whatever your mode of transport there will be idiots giving the rest a bad name. Last night on my commute home a car was trying to turn right and was sat blocking the flow of traffic waiting for someone to let him out. A cyclist went round the back of him and then started whacking the back of his car, then continued by shouting abuse at the driver. Of course, this cyclist had no lights on his bike even though it was dark. I considered saying something to him but decided there was no point.

As for what you described, people always assume that whatever they are doing they have the right of way, and I guess this is a perfect example. Pedestrians will get upset because cyclists shouldn't be there, and cyclists because pedestrians shouldn't. Of course there will be a few who actually know that both have a right to be there.
  • squired wrote:
    Whatever your mode of transport there will be idiots giving the rest a bad name. Last night on my commute home a car was trying to turn right and was sat blocking the flow of traffic waiting for someone to let him out. A cyclist went round the back of him and then started whacking the back of his car, then continued by shouting abuse at the driver. Of course, this cyclist had no lights on his bike even though it was dark. I considered saying something to him but decided there was no point.

Why didn't you say something? Surely it would have made him at least slightly less likely to do the same again?