Etape Caledonia hits 1000!

tambo46
tambo46 Posts: 19
sadly ignored but it might be of interest that the entrant numbers for the etape caledonia has just hit 1000! We can't all be wrong......Whoo hooo, roll on May, let's hope for good weather.

Comments

• popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    I had planned to do it, as I really enjoyed it last year. However, it falls on the same day as my son's 10th birthday so we're giving it a miss this year. We should be back in 2009 though.
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    Courier reports that the average speed been forced up to 13mph to get the roads reopened earlier
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Courier also reports that the people who objected to it last year have not all been won over.

To paraphrase the matter, this year the local Council used its democratic processes to give approval to the event, but it seems democracy shouldn't count if you really hate the idea of your road being closed for half a day while your area gives hospitality to 1000 plus cyclists.

Shame really, but there you go.

I averaged 16.75 mph last year, so I should be ok!

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• pedylan
    pedylan Posts: 768
    But on the positive side. The locals I encountered last year were extremely positive. There were plenty lining the road in the pouring rain. The hotel staff couldn't have been more helpful in stashing bike and letting a "drookit" cyclist get cleaned up prior to departure even though I'd checked out long since.

I think the organisers could have improved notifications and dialogue with some businesses and doubtless they'll do that this year.
    Where the neon madmen climb
  • ellieb
    ellieb Posts: 436
    Being completely new to this sort of thing.. I've only done non-drafting triathlons. How does the race aspect of this event work. Does everyone form a peleton with breakaways etc. or do you ride your own race and just pick up tows when you can. Or do you just cycle round on your own? :?
  • You can do any of the options you suggest. If you want to you can cycle round on your own, but that could be a little lonely. You could 'pick up tows', but expect to have to put in some of your own effort unless you are either lucky or in a big group - myself, I feel putting in some of my own effort gives a better feeling of accomplishment plus you get a rest from watching the wheel in front!

I'd only expect 'peletons with breakaways' if you are in with either some of the 'elite' riders or a more competitive group.
    Why the name? Like the Hobbit I don't shave my legs
  • pneumatic
    Remember it is a staggered start (groups of 100 or so every ten minutes).

Consequently, once you've found your own pace, you find yourself overtaking the back markers from earlier starting groups and being buzzed by the speedy ones from later groups. As the event goes on, chaingangs form at various levels of pace so you can hop on an off.

Last year, I found myself doing pretty much equal amounts of solo riding, tagging along with groups a bit out of my league and doing some proper work in groups that were at or below my level.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations

• Just been looking at the event website. The event starts this year at 7am and the first short (2.5 mi) section of road is closed until 7:45. That'll mean an early breakfast - I hope all the local hotels and B&B's that lobby for a Sat registration so that everyone has to stay overnight get up early to serve breakfast.
    Why the name? Like the Hobbit I don't shave my legs
  • ellieb
    ellieb Posts: 436
    That is more than a bit cheeky: To wait until 1300 people have registered, then change the start time to 07:00 & increase the required speed to 13mph. :evil:
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    Does 07:00 exist on a Sunday?
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • I got an email about the Etape and when I followed the link to an online registration form it said the £49 entry fee was "refundable towards your fundraising target of £150". Does anyone know what the deal is here?
  • I got an e-mail saying that there is going to be Mavic support. Not quite sure how this works in an event of this size - but it sounds good!
  • pneumatic
    I got an e-mail saying that there is going to be Mavic support. Not quite sure how this works in an event of this size - but it sounds good!

there seemed to be a very high number of p*nct*res last year: it would be cool to think that there would be a banana yellow car that pulled up and sorted you out. Not sure how you'd get your own wheel back if they replaced it though. Perhaps they are just really quick at changing tubes.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations