need new forks cannondale caad 2 mtb

stu2878
stu2878 Posts: 4
edited February 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
hi i currently have rockshox jett (very old) and there about dead. these forks have very little travelle, on my cannondale i use reducer cups so i can use 1" 8 forks, anyway i need to buy new ones but stuck on which mm of travelle i can fit, i would like to use 100mm travelle forks or would this be to much for a bike ao this age, or can i fit any any mm travelle forks?? please help really stuck on which forks to buy.

thank any help would be great

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what is the travel on the jetts?

i would say you are looking at 80mm travel max, but measure the axle to crown height as that is more important than travel.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • the travelle in the old jetts seem to be about 60mm

measurement from axle to bottom of crown is 40 1/2 cm, from axle to where crown race goes is 44cm,

with these measurments can you reccomend a new fork for me, there doesn`t seem to be alot around with this little travelle,

thanks for help much appreciated.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    if it is 440mm then you have quite a bit of choice in the 80mm range.

eg 2008-MARATHON CORSA SL WC with 444mm axle to crown height.
    2008-MX PRO LO has 459mm for a 80mm fork

or the Tora from RS has 459mm at the 80mm setting.
    the reba comes in at 458mm for 85mm of travel

all the info you need can be found on the fork makers webbys you just need to decide what brakes and how much.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cheers thanks for taking the the time to help much appreciated, bye