GT Headset Bearings

chrisgidden
chrisgidden Posts: 10
edited February 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All,

I have been having problems because the bearings in the headset on my GT avalance are worn out. Does anyone know what size bearings i would need to replace them? It is the standard headset.

Cheers,

Chris.

Comments

• Will Snow
    Will Snow Posts: 1,154
    local bike shop your best chance, specially if there just caged bearings. be surprised if you had to pay as well, to be honest.
    i ride a hardtail
  • Yeh, went there last night and they gave some new ball bearing but didnt have a cage the right size. I was looking in halfords and there are some that look the same but the diameter of the cage is about 0.5mm-1mm smaller, is it possible my originals may have stretched?
  • Will Snow
    hmm... odd. have you tried putting them in??? it possible the cage has been warped, i always bend them when i take them out. see if the new ones fit maybe??? if not, what kind of headset is it??
    i ride a hardtail
  • Im not sure what brand it is, was the standard one on the bike when i got it. All i know is its an integrated type headset.

Im going to have a go at getting it all back together tonight so hopefully they will be the right size.
  • if i were you i'd put loose bearings in, i have done it to all my bikes and the headsets are as smooth as you could ever ask for, i tend to find they last longer this way too. just put loads of grease in to make them last .
    if you're not crashing, you're not trying.
  • if i were you i'd put loose bearings in, i have done it to all my bikes and the headsets are as smooth as you could ever ask for, i tend to find they last longer this way too. just put loads of grease in to make them last .

Loose bearings? Would that work? Would they not just all move and end up in the wrong place?

Chris.
  • Will Snow
    cant say ive ever tried it. ahh... integrated headset. theyve probably given you the normal cup type bearings, id go and ask for some integrated jobbies. or a new headset, with easy to get hold of bearings :lol:
    i ride a hardtail
  • yeah, true probably best to go to your LBS and get a new headset.
  • Will Snow
    woah i was only joking!!! if you can get bearings, get bearings!!!
    i ride a hardtail
  • yes but a new headset will probably save more time and money in the long run, and this is a perfect time to upgrade if you can afford to,
    the standard ones always seem to wear bearings faster than an aftermarket headset.
  • God knows what i can get lol. Ill have a god tonight and see what happens. In the shop last night i took the parts of the headset so they could see it but they werent much selp really.

If i cant get it to work i will get the new headset. Any recommendations?
  • Will Snow
    integrated right??? whats your budget?? style of riding... etc...
    i ride a hardtail
  • Will Snow wrote:
    integrated right??? whats your budget?? style of riding... etc...

Yeah integrated, probably would spend about £50ish or there abouts. Dont so anything too hardcore, up and down canals during the week and trails like the follow the dog at cannock chase or Coed Llandegla on weekends.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What year? As far as I know, no Avalanche has integrated headsets, but do have 'internal' or zero stack. Take a pic if you can.
  • supersonic wrote:
    What year? As far as I know, no Avalanche has integrated headsets, but do have 'internal' or zero stack. Take a pic if you can.

Its a 2007 model - i dont have any pics to hand at the moment but will try and get one later on. Its back together now, managed to get new ball bearings into the old cages for the time being, its working ok but will need replacing soon.