XC Rims

tmg
tmg Posts: 651
edited April 2008 in XC and Enduro
Need a new rear wheel as my rim (Mavic 717) decided to explode today.

So my question is are DT rims stronger than Mavic? Or should I just get the XC717 rim with DT Spokes as before?

Comments

• Mavic 717's are great rims, I had a pair for 2 years and had no problems. If you broke them then I would suggest getting the Mavic all mountain ones, think they are XM719's, otherwise you might break another pair.

I don't think the DT ones are any stronger, and a few people I ride with complain there a biatch for getting tyres off the rim.
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    I use both DT Swiss 4.1d and Mavic XC717 rims and there is very little difference between the two.

The DT Swiss rims are supposed to build into a stiffer wheel.
  • tmg
    Had the wheels built by CRC two years ago and was riding on tarmac and had been for some 3.5 miles, no off road and the thing literally buckled and split

Will take a look at the all mountain mavics
  • pdid
    pdid Posts: 1,065
    How did it explode?

I s-ed my XT-717`s at Ae. Merlin recommended i go for a 719 next time.

P
  • tmg
    It basically ripped along the sidewall of the rim about 20 cm, looking at it seems like there was a weak point under one of the spokes which just bent outward and then took soom of the sidewall off, it then made a nice loud bang when the inner tube exploded

Will give Merlin a call today to see if they can build me a new wheel round my current hub, will ask them what they reccomend for a good strong wheel
  • pdid
    pdid Posts: 1,065
    If you think it was a fault and not just your style of riding that damaged the rim, i`d stick with the 717`s.

If, however, your riding style involves jumping, drop offs et al, then you`d probably be better going for the 719`s.

P
  • tmg
    No shenanigans going on here

Spoke to the guys at Stif and they reccomended the 719, weighs a tad more than the 717's but a lot stronger, so hub got shipped of to them today which they will service and then build me a new wheel around, happy days
  • jammieeeee
    jammieeeee Posts: 389
    If you ride XC 717 are normally fine
    you could alsways go 717 front 719 rear, especially if you ride a HT.
  • ian_worby
    ian_worby Posts: 331
    do you use discs or V's just out of interest?
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    I've got 719's and they've been excellent round plenty of harsh xc routes. On the other hand my mates 717's are dented and cracked pretty badly!
  • Vegeeta
    Vegeeta Posts: 6,411
    Get yourself a DT Swiss XR4.2d rim which despite what the manufacturers claim are lighter than XC717s. Get a DT Swiss rear hub and a Shimano XTR front hub (centerlock and a DT Swiss adaptor is usually lighter than 6 bolts anyway) and use Sapim XC-Ray spokes which are lighter and stronger than DT and have a better nipple.
    Rule 64:

Cornering confidence generally increases with time and experience. This pattern continues until it falls sharply and suddenly.

http://www.velominati.com/blog/the-rules/
  • warm18
    warm18 Posts: 341
    i upgraded to xm 719's and theyve handle everything ive thrown at them. the last set died a buckly death but these have been really sturdy, stiff and trustworthy. they add a tiny amount of weight but thats the price you have to pay when you want to throw your bike about more.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I'd agree with veg about sapim cx-ray spokes. Mentally strong.[/u]
  • endurojcb
    endurojcb Posts: 170
    I can vounch for DT Swiss 5.1D's. An excellent wheel. It can take a lot of abuse! Got mine from Hope Hoops with a Hop hub included for £160. Only worked out £50 more than having my old DT Swiss rim rebuilt, so effectively £50 for a Hope hub ain't bad really!

It's always a good idea to check your spokes on new wheels. A lot of wheels these days are built by machines and not by hand so the spokes are often far too loose. A mate of mine bought a brand now GT full susser last summer and on the first ride 2 spokes on the rear wheel came seriously loose and one of them came unscrewed completely.
    2007 Merlin Malt 4
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    I am currently waiting on a hand built Mavic 719 rear wheel with XT hub that I ordered from Merlin on Friday,I was told it would be a stronger option for the rocky XC loop at my local trail centre (Cwmcarn) . Its a bit heavier than the 717 but hopefully it will last a bit longer !!
  • roger-wp
    roger-wp Posts: 32
    KonaMike wrote:
    I am currently waiting on a hand built Mavic 719 rear wheel with XT hub that I ordered from Merlin on Friday,I was told it would be a stronger option for the rocky XC loop at my local trail centre (Cwmcarn) . Its a bit heavier than the 717 but hopefully it will last a bit longer !!

Here's photo of a Mavic XM719 ...

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=401993

Not a common failure so don't panic.

--
    Roger
    Wheelpro
  • KonaMike
    KonaMike Posts: 805
    I will be sure to report any problems but I think that is a bit of a one-off ,so many people rate these rims I'm pretty confident in their quality and Merlins build expertise.