Just bled brakes BUT pads are against each other!

jonathan2
jonathan2 Posts: 78
edited February 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, I am new to mountain bikes, and have just bled the brakes (avid 3's using the avid kit). However, upon coming to put the wheels back in, i find that there is no gap between the pads. I have a feeling that the 'rotor?' should have been between the pads while I was bleeding - is this the case? - Anyway, what do i do now? Is there anyway of adjusting the gap between the pads? Or do i have to start the bleeding process again with a rotor between the pads?
Please help!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you should have hadthe pistons pushed home.

so put a syringe on the lever end (with a bit of fluid in it) and pull on the lever this can pull the pistons back.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • hi, many thanks . all sorted now although just very slight rubbing - this should settle down after a few miles. Thank you for advice, a screw driver to prise the pads apart also helped.

Many thanks
    JJ
  • next time you bleed your breaks put the stopper in between the pads and no dont have the rotor anywhere near the caliper when your bleeding just incase you contaminate your pads, you will have to shell out for new ones then.