Richmond Park 3-lap Challenge - 2008

london-red
london-red Posts: 1,266
As suggested by Toks - and rightly so. It's time for a new 3-lap challenge thread. I'll kick off following today's rather depressing attempt.

My aim is to get down to below the hour - I missed out by 2 minutes last year, despite training for the Sportive.

Over to the speed demons!

Name
Anti or Clock----Weight
Time
Month

London-Red
3 laps/Anti
90kg
January

Comments

• Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    London-Red wrote:
    As suggested by Toks - and rightly so. It's time for a new 3-lap challenge thread. I'll kick off following today's rather depressing attempt.

My aim is to get down to below the hour - I missed out by 2 minutes last year, despite training for the Sportive.

Over to the speed demons!
    Well done london Red. I appologise for loosing focus around August last year but well done for everyone who kept posting their 3 lap times. I think many people found the thread very inspiring...Well its all about 2008 now! - so obviously keep a mental note of your 2007 PB and lets get the RL 3 lap party started again 8) 8) . Remember come the warmer months anything under 61mins is a good marker of fitness for time constrained non competitive types. Under 55mins is good for racer types and under 53 means you're that annoying swine that makes everyone suffer on group rides. Oh plus you are seriously fast. 8) 8) Perhaps people could also post one or two of their goals. Here's mine: make 2nd cat racer by summer and go under the hour on a standard race bike. So long for now guys :D
      Name
      Anti or Clock----Weight
      Time
      Month

London-Red
      3 laps/Anti
      90kg
      January
      Toks....................3 laps/Anti..........73kg.........61.00..........Jan
    • toontra
      toontra Posts: 1,160
      toontra.............3laps/anti.............75kg...........68.04..........Jan

Oh well, it's a start.

a serious case of small cogs
    • jonginge
      jonginge Posts: 5,945
      London-Red, don't forget to take about two minutes off due to the traffic jam near richmond gate car park ;)
      I circulated the park for about 2hrs yesterday and the traffic was stationary each time round. A bit less wind on the drag up to richmond gate would have been nice but otherwise a lovely day,
      FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
      Planet-x Scott
      Rides
    • Toks
      toontra wrote:
      toontra.............3laps/anti.............75kg...........68.04..........Jan

Oh well, it's a start.
      Common toontra don't be lazy put your results in the column with everyone elses. Seeing how well your doing when compared with others is part of the attraction of the thread. If everyone just posts their efforts in isolation it just gets very messy. Copy, edit and paste, its pretty easy :D
    • toontra
      Name
      Anti or Clock----Weight
      Time
      Month

London-Red
      3 laps/Anti
      90kg
      January
      Toks....................3 laps/Anti..........73kg.........61.00..........Jan
      toontra................3laps/anti...........75kg.........68.04..........Jan

• Thanks London-Red (and Toks) for starting the 08 version. I'm still pretty new to the forum thing so wasn't sure how/whether to do it myself.

Name
      Anti or Clock----Weight
      Time
      Month

London-Red.........3 laps/Anti
      90kg
      January
      Toks.....................3 laps/Anti..........73kg.........61.00..........Jan
      toontra..................3laps/anti...........75kg.........68.04..........Jan
      RedGreenBaron--3laps/anti
      70kg
      58:20
      Jan

I'd love to take a couple more minutes off by Summer.......

Nick
    • kmahony
      kmahony Posts: 380
      I've only had one try this year and the wind seemed to be blowing me backwards at one stage. Over 10mins off best time for last year. Still aiming to break 60mins at some point.
      Name...............Anti or Clock...Weight....Time.......Month

RedGreenBaron......3laps/anti......70kg......58:20......Jan
      Toks...............3laps/Anti......73kg......61.00......Jan 
      toontra............3laps/anti......75kg......68.04......Jan 
      London-Red.........3laps/Anti......90kg......68.40......Jan 
      KMahony   .........3laps/Clock.....99kg......77:41......Jan 

• grazer
      grazer Posts: 131
      i love this thread... :D

I have been concentrating on longer rides recently, but will aiming to go sub 54 this year (when not being distracted by births etc). Not sure when i will go for the first attempt, but will post as soon as i do

Cheers
      Grazer
    • I enjoyed reading this thread last year and as I often using the park for some training rides so thought i'd add my best times to the thread as well. Of the two times i've done three laps this month my best time so far was 54:05. When the mornings get a bit lighter if I wake up early enough ill try and get into the park before the traffic comes in and I'll aim for something below 50 minutes.

Name...............Anti or Clock...Weight....Time.......Month

KMahony .........3laps/Clock.....99kg......77:41......Jan
      AndrewBye.........3laps/anti......75kg......54:05......Jan
    • Toks
      Name...............Anti or Clock...Weight....Time.......Month]

KMahony   .........3laps/Clock.....99kg......77:41......Jan 
      AndrewBye..........3laps/anti......75kg......54:05......Jan

Hey Andrew welcome aboard, competition for Shaved legs at last. 8) Are you gonna give us your AP and NP for your ride? :D
    • cjcp
      cjcp Posts: 13,345
      Right, I hope to have a crack this weekend. It'll be the first attempt for months.
      FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
      "It stays down, Daddy."
      "Exactly."
    • Great thread. This was my first time on the bike since before Christmas - and so was a bit of an effort. Good fun though.

Name....................Anti or Clock...Weight....Time.......Month]

Toks.......................3laps/Anti......73kg......61.00......Jan
      toontra....................3laps/anti......75kg......68.04......Jan
      London-Red............3laps/Anti......90kg......68.40......Jan
      KMahony ............3laps/Clock.....99kg......77:41......Jan
      AndrewBye............3laps/anti......75kg......54:05......Jan
      bikecarbike.............3laps/anti......100kg....71:30......Jan
    • snakehips
      snakehips Posts: 2,272
      Good to see this thread make a comeback. I had a couple of goes last year and managed just under 75 mins.Then I figured that whizzing (by my standards) round the park was not good preparation for the Dun Run so I changed my training emphasis and went for longer slower rides.
      I am going to retire in a few weeks time so I'll have more time for cycling from now on.
      So watch this space!

Snake
      'Follow Me' the wise man said, but he walked behind!
    • Toks wrote:

Hey Andrew welcome aboard, competition for Shaved legs at last. 8) Are you gonna give us your AP and NP for your ride? :D

average power = 330W and normalized power = 345W
    • pedylan
      pedylan Posts: 768
      Not being a londoner but I am a regular visitor so I might manage a circumnavigation later in the year.

Apologies if this is a stupid question but what are specific details of the route? Or do you just enter by any gate and go round three times 'til you arrive back. :oops:

What's the clocked distance?
      Where the neon madmen climb
    • toontra
      pedylan wrote:
      Apologies if this is a stupid question but what are specific details of the route? Or do you just enter by any gate and go round three times 'til you arrive back. :oops:

What's the clocked distance?

1) Yes, enter by any gate and stick to the perimeter (main) road.
      2) My (very basic) bike comp makes each lap around 6.7 miles, so the three laps combined are more or less 20.

• Toks
      AndrewBye wrote:
      Toks wrote:

average power = 330W and normalized power = 345W
      Cool, thanks. so not exactly a maximal effort for you then 8) 8)
    • Hi Guys,

Some of you may know I'm about to open a bike shop, I know it's silly but I'm going to try it.

Anyway to celebrate the opening, promote the site a bit and say thank you to Toks for his orginal post, I'm going to run a little unofficial Toks RP 3 lap challenge. Either this weekend or next I'll be in the park armed with a notepad, stop watch and camera.

I'll also be armed with some flapjacks, bananas, tea and coffee so we can all meet each other.

Shavedlegs.
    • Toks
      Great stuff, shaved legs I wish you all the best with you're business venture. By the way, was that you who claimed 4th spot at Hillingdon last saturday?
    • Hi Toks,

Not last week, but I got 4th there on the 1st December, a nice solo break (even if I say so myself) 5 laps from the end.

I've only made it to two of the Hillingdon Winter Series due to family commitments. Shame as I was going well and nabbed 16 points towards the elusive 2nd Cat license. May just focus on retaining the RP Challenge Trophy for a while since a certain Mr Bye has joined the fray.

I did a time of 53 something a while ago but the new thread hadn't started. I get a proper time soon.
    • cjcp
      cjcp Posts: 13,345
      Nice idea Shavedlegs. I won't be able to make it this weekend, but might be there next weekend. What time were you thinking of?
      FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
      "It stays down, Daddy."
      "Exactly."
    • Toks
      Shavedlegs wrote:
      Hi Toks,

Not last week, but I got 4th there on the 1st December, a nice solo break (even if I say so myself) 5 laps from the end.

I've only made it to two of the Hillingdon Winter Series due to family commitments. Shame as I was going well and nabbed 16 points towards the elusive 2nd Cat license. May just focus on retaining the RP Challenge Trophy for a while since a certain Mr Bye has joined the fray.

I did a time of 53 something a while ago but the new thread hadn't started. I get a proper time soon.
      Cool, I wouldn't worry too much about making 2nd cat. You're definitely strong enough and if you race smart you could achieve fairly quickly by doing a few 3rd or 2/3 races. Good luck in the Walley Gimber :twisted:
    • kmahony
      kmahony Posts: 380
      Great weather today, but traffic cost me 1-2 mins. Still, over 11mins qucker than very windy attempt in Jan. 60mins aim, doesn't seem so far away.
      Name....................Anti or Clock...Weight....Time.......Month

AndrewBye...............3laps/anti......75kg......54:05......Jan 
      RedGreenBaron...........3laps/anti......70kg......58:20......Jan 
      Toks....................3laps/Anti......73kg......61.00......Jan 
      KMahony ........... . ..3laps/Anti......98kg......66:31......Feb 
      toontra.................3laps/anti......75kg......68.04......Jan 
      London-Red........... ..3laps/Anti......90kg......68.40......Jan 
      bikecarbike.............3laps/anti......100kg.....71:30......Jan

• bigmat
      bigmat Posts: 5,134
      I can confirm that the traffic was a pian in the **** today, reckon it cost me about 2 mins per lap as seemed to get in the way every time I got any speed up. Still managed 62 mins dead which I'm pretty pleased with as it means the hour mark should be well within reach if I can get out of bed a bit earlier! 55 mins by summer still the main target....

AndrewBye...............3laps/anti......75kg......54:05......Jan
      Toks....................3laps/Anti......73kg......61.00......Jan
      MatHammond...........3laps/Anti.......84kg.....62.00.......Feb
      KMahony ........... . ..3laps/Anti......98kg......66:31......Feb
      toontra.................3laps/anti......75kg......68.04......Jan
      London-Red........... ..3laps/Anti......90kg......68.40......Jan
      bikecarbike.............3laps/anti......100kg.....71:30......Jan
    • toontra
      Bit of an improvement today - nice weather for it!

AndrewBye....................3laps/anti......75kg......54:05......Jan
      Toks................................3laps/Anti......73kg......61.00......Jan
      MatHammond...............3laps/Anti.......84kg.....62.00.......Feb
      toontra............................3laps/Anti......75kg......65.42.......Feb
      KMahony ........... ....... ..3laps/Anti......98kg......66:31.......Feb
      London-Red.............. ..3laps/Anti......90kg......68.40.......Jan
      bikecarbike...................3laps/anti......100kg.....71:30......Jan

• toontra wrote:
      Bit of an improvement today - nice weather for it!

AndrewBye....................3laps/anti......75kg......54:05......Jan
      Toks................................3laps/Anti......73kg......61.00......Jan
      MatHammond...............3laps/Anti.......84kg.....62.00.......Feb
      toontra............................3laps/Anti......75kg......65.42.......Feb
      KMahony ........... ....... ..3laps/Anti......98kg......66:31.......Feb
      London-Red.............. ..3laps/Anti......90kg......68.40.......Jan
      Les shaw......................3laps/anti......67kg.....68:11 [touring bike]...Feb
      bikecarbike...................3laps/anti......100kg.....71:30......Jan
    • Gussio
      Gussio Posts: 2,452
      Great to see this thread back again - thanks for taking the initiative. Hoping to get into the park within the next week and looking for a sub-60 time by the end of summer (something I missed out on by just over a minute in 2007).

This year it looks like everyone is going anti-clockwise!
    • I'm pleased to announce, The inaugural unofficial Toks Invitation Richmond Park 3 Lap Challenge in association with Shavedlegs will be held on 9th March.

I'll be there from about 7.30am, I hope it will be a social event as well as a sporting one so I'll be armed with coffee and flapjacks.
    • Rumur has it a certain "KingstonWheeler" has broken the 54 minute barrier (helped perhaps by the famous easterly wind that is blowing at the minute).

Unfortunately he has lost his log in details so wont be able to update this result and make it official.

Coffee and flapjack sounds fun! I wont be able to make it as am elsewhere on the 9th. >< Might try and have a proper go at a 3 lap time trial sometime in the next week or so, as i've a feeling ill be knocked off top spot very soon!
    • The user and all related content has been deleted.