frame for fixed in winter and gears in summer?

johnnypipe85
johnnypipe85 Posts: 145
edited February 2008 in Road general
Hi guys!
I've been riding fixed for a few months now and really enjoying it!
unfortunally, as I'm getting married(nice thing), I'm going to move to a smaller flat(sad thing) without a bike room(sad thing) and I'll have to reduce the number of bikes I can keep(very sad thing!!!).

So, I was thinking of getting a road bike which could be easily converted between fixed gear and gears by just changing the rear wheel and the chain, and taking off the rear mech.(I would have only one ring on the front).

Do I need to look for a particular type of frame? (any ideas?) I would think that a normal track frame wouldn't have enough space to for a full cassette...

Thanks for your help.

Jon

Comments

• GaryGkn
    GaryGkn Posts: 1,199
    I think you may be after the Surly Crosscheck or something of a similar name. The frame has horizontal dropouts which enable the use of fixed gear. You could convert an old road frame again one that has horizontal and not vertical drop outs. Or just ride fix all the time. Having a summer gear and a winter gear to suit.
  • Or a standard geared bike with an eno rear hubbed wheel
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    As above. Though I think that an eno is an expensive solution - a frame with horizontal drop outs and a mech hanger is the easiest way.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • thanks guys!
  • I have a Salsa Casseroll for this exact purpose. £375 for the frameset and build it up how you wish. Lovely frame. Looked at the crosscheck too, but as that has canti mounts I didn't like the look as much when running with no rear brake.
  • GaryGkn
    Run it with a rear brake!
  • belgiangoth
    belgiangoth Posts: 2,849
    I'd go with horizontal (forward facing) drops (in fact, even if it's purely a fixed bike I'd do that anyway) and possibly a triple or double at the front, aiming to align the middle or innermost chainring with the single fixed gear.

What are your plans for gear shifting? Will you be runing fixed with STI shifters?

Have a look at Rivendell's singlespeed, they had a design where you had two gears at the back that ou could line up with a front double and change gear by hand. May be of interest.
  • I use a winter frame as a fixed bike. I just got a fixed back wheel built onto a solid 120mm axle.

As implied above, you might want a duplicate set of handlebars and stem with the different levers on
  • GaryGkn
    I think that was the Quickbeam normally come in green it also has angled drop outs so that your brakes line up.
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    GaryGkn wrote:
    I think that was the Quickbeam normally come in green it also has angled drop outs so that your brakes line up.

Indeed. I enquired about buying one a while ago: Rivendell quoted such a high shipping price that I rather assumed they would rather not bother!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • GaryGkn
    Also at one point they were doing wool based clothing at decent prices and claiming that it was manufactured in the UK, Scotland, again shipping charges made it a bad deal. I wanted to buy direct from the UK but could not find a way.

I have noticed a lot of things have a more affordable price abroad and the global market internet shopping does not always get you access to the same deals, it's a shame because there is some nice stuff outside the UK at nice prices. The sames stuff is available to UK residents at not so affordable prices obviously taking in to account tax and shipping. So much for the so called global market?