Wrist supports for Tendonitis

andyturner28
andyturner28 Posts: 1,225
edited February 2008 in Health, fitness & training
I'v just found out i have Tendonitis after being told 3 weeks ago it is just a sprained wrist. Useless NHS :evil: Anyway, i would like to carry on riding, and am looking for a wrist support. Can anyone recommend any that do the job, but are not too bulky that i can't wear gloves over the top. Also have any of you had Tendonitis before and kept on riding? Is it a good idea? I realy don't want to be walking everywhere for months!

Cheers,

Andy.

Comments

• Andy, would Tubigrip be any good for you to use? You could always double it over to make it even tighter and supportive, it's light and you can wear gloves over it no problem:

http://www.mypharmacy.co.uk/health_prod ... ubigip.htm
    ogoabdotinfoin5.jpg
  • You need to seek help from maybe a sports medical professional about how you should treat your injury.

I have it in my shoulder and my doc advised to continue as normal but stop doing something if it hurts. I am doing stretching and light resistance exercise and am continuing to ride. However, I stress, don't take my advice as I am not a doctor and my injury is different to yours.

A sports specific medical practitioner will give the best advice on how to treat your injury.
  • Cheers guys. I have got an LP wrist splint, which seems to do the job and i can fit my glove over it. Feels a bit strange holding the bars, i'll try riding into work tomorrow. From what i understand from what the doc said, as long as the wrist is immobilised and the tendon can't continue to move through the outer shethe, it should be ok to ride. I might give my osteopath a wring and see what he says though.

Cheers,

Andy.
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    I've had two pretty bad tendon injuries in recent history.

The forst was aggrivated tendonitis of the achilies - man did that hurt I could hardly walk let alone do anything, after a week or so I was getting better.

The other - far more serious one - was when I ruptured all the tendons in my right wrist, simply by falling over and folding my wrist under me. I had 7 weeks off work due to the injury and had to learn to do all sorts of things left handed (you can imagine) but try cleaning your teeth with your other non-used hand :lol: This happened 5 years ago now and I still get bouts of pain every once in a while and then it subsides. I get the feeling I'm stuck with it for life now :?

Really i personally wouldn;t do anything tooo streneous or that results in large forces being placed on your wrist, defo no aggressive riding as it'll knacker you up for a very long time. Maybe try some fire road work thats relativley smooth to keep fitness levels up or maybe even road work.
  • Steve_b77 wrote:
    I've had two pretty bad tendon injuries in recent history.

The forst was aggrivated tendonitis of the achilies - man did that hurt I could hardly walk let alone do anything, after a week or so I was getting better.

The other - far more serious one - was when I ruptured all the tendons in my right wrist, simply by falling over and folding my wrist under me. I had 7 weeks off work due to the injury and had to learn to do all sorts of things left handed (you can imagine) but try cleaning your teeth with your other non-used hand :lol: This happened 5 years ago now and I still get bouts of pain every once in a while and then it subsides. I get the feeling I'm stuck with it for life now :?

Really i personally wouldn;t do anything tooo streneous or that results in large forces being placed on your wrist, defo no aggressive riding as it'll knacker you up for a very long time. Maybe try some fire road work thats relativley smooth to keep fitness levels up or maybe even road work.

Wow that sounds nasty! Did you have to have an op to repair all the tendons? It's making me crindge thinking about it.
    I know i realy shouldn't ride, but it is the only think keeping me from returning to being a fat bloater again, and i know if i stop the weight will pile on again. I think i might just have to grin and bear it. At least it is not getting any worse, and the pills i am on seem to be doing their job.

Cheers,

Andy.
  • Steve_b77
    Nope they prescribed rest :roll: And many pain killers :P
  • Yes they realy make you laugh don't they. When i first went to the treatment room in the health centre she told me just to "not to use it". Oh realy helpfull, i can just imagine my boss's reaction to me asking for a couple of weeks off work due to a slightely gammy wrist! She then had the nerve to have a go at me when i returned with it in a worse condition complaining that the pathetic tubigrip she stuck on had done bugger all because i had still been using it! And she was completely wrong in the first place, it would probable be better by now if she had spent longer than a second looking at it, just because it was 5:45 and they closed at 6, instead of letting it get worse for another 2 weeks!

Rant over........deep breath :)

Useless pricks.
  • Steve_b77
    Typical,

I thought I had broken my wrist at first, so when I went to the hospital - high as a kite off a pac of Anadin Extras - the loverly nurse took hold of my hand and arm and ragged it round in a circle and then up & down and proudly proclaimed "thats not broken!!!"

I was like no $hit, but it fookin hurts now more than it did before i came in :cry: :evil:
  • I have got an LP wrist splint, which seems to do the job and i can fit my glove over it.

good choice. i used one of those when i broke my wrist, but had a holiday booked to go to the alps, so didnt get it seen to until afterwards. was the best support i could get hold of & judging from the scans, worked very well to keep everything in place.
  • Steve_b77
    fenella wrote:
    I have got an LP wrist splint, which seems to do the job and i can fit my glove over it.

good choice. i used one of those when i broke my wrist, but had a holiday booked to go to the alps, so didnt get it seen to until afterwards. was the best support i could get hold of & judging from the scans, worked very well to keep everything in place.

You rode the alps with a broken wrist :shock:
  • yes, but it probably sounds worse that it felt. the painkillers helped, fs was set up pretty soft & i didnt let myself drop any more than about 2ft. lots of steep techy trails which took my mind off my wrist, but had to take a few rest-breaks on long descents, as my wrist effected my grip on the handlebar & braking finger.