Forum home Road cycling forum Campaign

Coast Cycles dont do discounts!!

viking75viking75 Posts: 2
edited February 2008 in Campaign
I have spent the last 2 days phoning and visiting various shops in my locality to get the best deal on a 2007 Giant SCR 3.

I called Coast Cycles in garston Liverpool today to enquire and when I told the guy I had seen the bike elsewhere but it was above my budget, he said "we dont do discounts" and hung up the phone!
:evil:

I will pay him a visit next week when I eventually get the bike from elsewhere and ask him how he has managed to stay in business with such an attitude?

Posts

  • Monty DogMonty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Many shops don't do discounts on current model year bikes - they often have reseller agreements or disincentives via retrospective discounts that discourage it. However, many shops will offer you say 10% of the value of the bike in free accessories.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • spen666spen666 Posts: 17,709
    viking75 wrote:
    I have spent the last 2 days phoning and visiting various shops in my locality to get the best deal on a 2007 Giant SCR 3.

    I called Coast Cycles in garston Liverpool today to enquire and when I told the guy I had seen the bike elsewhere but it was above my budget, he said "we dont do discounts" and hung up the phone!
    :evil:

    I will pay him a visit next week when I eventually get the bike from elsewhere and ask him how he has managed to stay in business with such an attitude?
    He has probably stayed in business exactly because of that attitude ie he sells bikes at a priice that allows him to make a profit after paying his expenses
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

    Twittering @spen_666
  • ademortademort Posts: 1,924
    Hi here in the Netherlands it,s the same. I know the LBS very well, despite this they do not give any discount at all.Everything is sold at r.r.p. I know the chief mechanic gets a 20% shop discount and a 50% employee discount when he buys anything. Pisses me off really. Greetings Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • nwallacenwallace Posts: 1,465
    spen666 wrote:
    viking75 wrote:
    I have spent the last 2 days phoning and visiting various shops in my locality to get the best deal on a 2007 Giant SCR 3.

    I called Coast Cycles in garston Liverpool today to enquire and when I told the guy I had seen the bike elsewhere but it was above my budget, he said "we dont do discounts" and hung up the phone!
    :evil:

    I will pay him a visit next week when I eventually get the bike from elsewhere and ask him how he has managed to stay in business with such an attitude?
    He has probably stayed in business exactly because of that attitude ie he sells bikes at a priice that allows him to make a profit after paying his expenses

    The attitude is Slamming the phone down, not refusing to cut prices. Worked in a shop where prices were lower than required to keep the place afloat, I think mostly hoping that the PC components prices would rise again, alas the cheaper buts are the less you make on markup. Once a DVD drive could have 50 quid markup on it, now you can get them for 20 quid, with a markup of about 50p. Some people could be rather rude or upset that they couldn't get an money off, despite the fact that our prices weren't far off Dabs or Ebuyer if you included Postage on them and almost always less than PC World.
    Do Nellyphants count?

    Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

    +1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • CunobelinCunobelin Posts: 11,792
    Slightly OT......


    For PC World etc ask for the internet price as well as the shop price. They will then refuse to let you have the item at the cheaper price

    Now go outside, order it by phone, and ask for "collect at store".

    1 hour later take the number you were given on the phone, find the same salesman and he will have to sell i tto you at the internet price!

    Saves money and really annoys the sales staff!
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • nwallacenwallace Posts: 1,465
    Had never thought of that!
    No doubt they still try to sell you extended warranties that do no more (or even less) than the Sale Of Goods makes a legal requirement. My last one worked for 5/6 years so should this.
    Do Nellyphants count?

    Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

    +1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • spen666spen666 Posts: 17,709
    nwallace wrote:

    The attitude is Slamming the phone down, not refusing to cut prices. ....

    So if that is your beef with the shop, why title your thread about their failure to cut prices for you?

    Seems like you are shifting your position
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

    Twittering @spen_666
  • top_bhoytop_bhoy Posts: 1,423
    spen666 wrote:
    nwallace wrote:

    The attitude is Slamming the phone down, not refusing to cut prices. ....

    So if that is your beef with the shop, why title your thread about their failure to cut prices for you?

    Seems like you are shifting your position

    Oh dear....Once again a clear example of engaging the brain without thinking. Late nights and too many drinks are clearly making one confused!!!

    Unless viking75 and nwallace are one in the same - and then of course you will be entirely correct in your riposte. :lol:
  • spen666spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Top_Bhoy wrote:

    Oh dear....Once again a clear example of engaging the brain without thinking. Late nights and too many drinks are clearly making one confused!!!
    I'll wait until you are sober and not confused then

    Unless viking75 and nwallace are one in the same - and then of course you will be entirely correct in your riposte. :lol:
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

    Twittering @spen_666
  • top_bhoytop_bhoy Posts: 1,423
    I'm perfectly sober - so sober in fact I didn't manage to confuse nwallace as the starter of this thread. Unfortunately, the same can't be said of some others. :wink:
  • spen666spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Top_Bhoy wrote:
    I'm perfectly sober - so sober in fact I didn't manage to confuse nwallace as the starter of this thread. Unfortunately, the same can't be said of some others. :wink:

    good job I'm teatotal then isn't it - shame however I'm illiterate ( at least that's what I think people called me)
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

    Twittering @spen_666
  • nwallacenwallace Posts: 1,465
    He He He, my wording wasn't great either though. Maybe I shoudl ahve said "My problem with it would be...."
    Do Nellyphants count?

    Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

    +1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
Sign In or Register to comment.