Circuit of the Cotswolds

APIII
APIII Posts: 2,010
Anybody else entered it this year? I did it last year. Great event, very challenging and all money raised goes to a good cause.

http://www.circuitofthecotswolds.org/

Comments

• oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    I did it last year so this year will do a different one if possible, try not to do too many of the same rides unless they are really really good :D
  • I'll be doing it for the second time, previous was 2006. Last year I stood at a hairpin on Corndean Lane for about 2 hours relieved to be missing out on the pain! I spotted you Old Welshman going by. It is a surprisingly hard event - not excessively hilly, but the Costwolds just go up and down, up and down without respite. Then you go up Cleeve Hill and Corndean and that turns your legs to jelly.

Highly recommended, slightly low key event on largely quiet, good looking roads.
  • oldwelshman
    I'll be doing it for the second time, previous was 2006. Last year I stood at a hairpin on Corndean Lane for about 2 hours relieved to be missing out on the pain! I spotted you Old Welshman going by. It is a surprisingly hard event - not excessively hilly, but the Costwolds just go up and down, up and down without respite. Then you go up Cleeve Hill and Corndean and that turns your legs to jelly.

Highly recommended, slightly low key event on largely quiet, good looking roads.
    I am easily recognisable with my lef tattoos :D
    Hope you did not spot me on cleeve hill I was dying but at least I got up it, majority waled. From there on I was in small group and we finished with small group of 8.
    I must have gone well as me and Jim had second best time :D didn't feel well tho!!
  • I've just signed up for this.

I moved from Leeds mid 2006 to Gloucester and have only just started riding again. Did a little bit last summer round here. I did Cleeve Hill both ways today, to Toddington and back. The route goes up the hardest way up Cleeve Hill so this will be slow one(10kph seated). I'm gonna try the 102miler, I need the challenge.

It's the week after The Great Yorkshire Bike Ride so I've got 2 consecutive weeks to ride. At least the GYBR is only about 800m climbing, I can save myself for the CotC and Devil Ride in Wales in August. Why am I sat here, I've got some training to do :roll:
  • See you in June. I'll be the bloke dribbling and foaming at the mouth and going from side to side erratically from 60 miles onwards........
  • well if I don't get the training in I'll grab your wheel and wear my waterproofs :wink: If I do make some progress then you can grab mine. I'll be on a full carbon Deda with silver Ribble plastered all over it (http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/pics/RIBBFRAR0910.jpg) and my skid lid is yellow.
  • oldwelshman
    I've just signed up for this.

I moved from Leeds mid 2006 to Gloucester and have only just started riding again. Did a little bit last summer round here. I did Cleeve Hill both ways today, to Toddington and back. The route goes up the hardest way up Cleeve Hill so this will be slow one(10kph seated). I'm gonna try the 102miler, I need the challenge.

It's the week after The Great Yorkshire Bike Ride so I've got 2 consecutive weeks to ride. At least the GYBR is only about 800m climbing, I can save myself for the CotC and Devil Ride in Wales in August. Why am I sat here, I've got some training to do :roll:

Cleeve hill seated ? wow :D you must either be extremely strong or have mtb gears :D
    I was hanging over my bars doing way less than 10km/hr and I was one of the few who did not walk it :D
    Think you may find it harder after 50 or so hard miles :D
  • :shock: Really!! I was on 39x25, It was training and I wanted to see if I could do it. I deliberately wasn't pulling on the bars either, left them loose on the hoods, making sure that I wasn't using my upper body to help me. I remember watching a program about Graeme Obree and how he always tried to remain seated on climbs to help strengthen his legs. I guess it's always stuck with me.

You're right after a good few miles I expect I won't be seated on the day. :lol:
  • TechnoBuddhist

I am with OldWelshman on this because I rode it with him last year. Are we talking about the same climb because, if we are, and you ride up it seated on 39 x 25 with hands resting on the tops you must have Rasmussen's body and Chris Hoy's legs :shock:

Jim
  • err...

The hardest way up is from Cheltenham up to Cleeve Hill Golfcourse over the top and down into Winchcombe. It's easier going back the other way from Winchcombe up to the golf course.

just checked google maps and cross ref'd with the CotC route details and we're at cross purposes. The CotC takes in Bushcombe Lane(single track road 25% as I recall) and joins Cleeve Hill nearly at the top. I didn't mean this, I meant the main B4632.

There are 3 very severe climbs of 25%ish that go straight up to the top of Cleeve Hill.

I don't do 25%ers sitting down! I'll do the CotC Bushcombe Lane climb on Sunday and report back!

Phew glad we got that sorted,.... but now I guess you're all thinking I'm a newbie legless wuss for doing the eezy peezy main road, which I think is only 10% :lol:
  • Anybody travelling from Glos or Chelt to CotC and would share a lift for share of petrol costs?

Mrs will take me, but by the time she's done the round trip twice it's 140miles at least.
  • I'm glad we got that sorted out technobuddist as I was begining to think there was a breed of superhuman beings in Glos. that we needed to look out for.

I'll be cycling to and from the start so I can't offer you a lift matey. I'll keep an eye out on the day though. I'll be committing all sorts of crimes against cycling by riding a red Bianchi with a Shimano 105 triple. It's a practicality thing....I had no choice.....well, little...okay I asked for it....but erm, well, don't flick me into a ditch!!!
  • You talk about a breed of superhuman beings in Glos and yet you're cycling to the event, cycling the event, then cycling back! :lol: You doing the big 'un or the little 'un? I suggest you do the little 'un otherwise there's more time to let god strike you down with a burning fireball for riding red Bianchi and a triple. and a Shimano as well. I'm not religious, but I'll pray he isn't watching you :wink:

Seriously, where are you coming from and what distance you doing to get to the start?
  • jpembroke
    jpembroke Posts: 2,569
    It's a little unfair of the organisers to refer to the Bushcombe Lane climb as 'Cleeve Hill'. Undoubtedly, it does go up Cleeve Hill; it's just that when you talk about Cleeve Hill round here everyone assumes you are talking about the main B4632 climb that Technobuddhist mentioned. Bushcombe Lane is just plain evil.
    I'm only concerned with looking concerned
  • I'm quite looking forward to tackling Bushcombe(:twisted:) on Sunday. I haven't done anything >20% for a long time.

I'll have a better understanding of how much it'll hurt if I'm gonna do the 100miler.
  • jpembroke
    Good luck mate. Hope it's not too green and slippy. I was riding over Cleeve Hill earlier today (the normal, trade route) and thinking about Bushcombe. Last time I was on it was going down after doing training laps of Cleeve Common on my 'cross bike. Savage hill. enjoy.
  • Awww,... green and slippy, am I gonna have to clean my bike again :roll:

You weren't the guy I briefly spoke with on Wed afternoon were you? Did you meet a guy on a Ribble?

The cross bike makes me think it might have been you cos the guy I saw had a few bits of mud on him and looked like he'd just enjoyed himself, Carrera was it?

I've never done anything other than the normal route. Not long lived round these parts and didn't do any riding at all when I moved here. Just starting to explore now hence deciding to do the CotC.
  • jhop
    jhop Posts: 369
    The Cotswold Corker next Saturday is a tough 100k Audax ride that hits the 25% Bushcombe climb straight from the start.

At least on the COTC it comes when you are warm and a bit more ready at around the half way point although I remember that when it was introduced in 2006 some felt that it did not add to the original 2005 ride which did not include it at all.
  • jpembroke
    Sorry, no, wasn't me. My 'cross bike hasn't been out of the shed since my last race before Christmas. In fact, until today, none of my bikes have been out of the shed for a couple of months as I've been solely hill running. Bruised ankle means that bikes will start to see the light of day again. Anyway, my road bike is a light blue Planet X Superlight and the cross bike is a red Planet X Uncle John. If you see one of those out and about chances are it's me.
  • jhop - where can I find route details of the ride? I might pop along and see how everybody else handles Bushcombe.

jpembroke - I'll keep my eyes peeled, they look easy enough to spot, especially the Uncle John, black logo on red.
  • It's only 5 miles to the start for me, so nothing too taxing. At the Dragon Ride I've twice stayed 8 miles from the start and cycled that too. Have to say on the way back it is the hardest 8 miles I've ever done.
  • 5 miles, yeah that's doable.

Well I did Bushcombe today for the first time. I have to say it beat me :oops: . Of all of the climb, there is about 1km of 25%. The bottom section builds up the gradient for a bit,which I remained seated for, and then it just says, "Hey who do you think you are, I'm 25% I am. Fear me!!" Then you get 1km of 25%, before it just tops out and hasn't got anything to hit you with.

On the 1km section, I got to about 20m from the last bend(Pippin Cottage(?) on the right) when my willpower over my legs gave up. My legs were doing ok(tiring obviously, and hacked off with the whole thing, but they were still working), my breathing was controlled and HR seemed ok, but my mind just let go and stopped me. I got around the bend and saw about 75m of straight and the climb was finished. The last 75m didn't even seem to be 25%, maybe 20%.

Next time I know what to expect and I'll have more training under my belt. Also bear in mind I was on a 39x25. No grannies or triples for me! For the 1km, my avg speed whilst I was riding was 6kph and cadence was 30. no superhumans round here after all :wink:

If I don't the training in, then I'll be walking on the day. Doing it after 50/60 miles is a true test of mind over matter!
  • jhop
    jhop Posts: 369
    jhop - where can I find route details of the ride? I might pop along and see how everybody else handles Bushcombe.

The organiser Sean Graff may provide you with the route:

http://www.aukweb.net/cal/index.htm

Try him.
  • oldwelshman
    5 miles, yeah that's doable.

Well I did Bushcombe today for the first time. I have to say it beat me :oops: . Of all of the climb, there is about 1km of 25%. The bottom section builds up the gradient for a bit,which I remained seated for, and then it just says, "Hey who do you think you are, I'm 25% I am. Fear me!!" Then you get 1km of 25%, before it just tops out and hasn't got anything to hit you with.

On the 1km section, I got to about 20m from the last bend(Pippin Cottage(?) on the right) when my willpower over my legs gave up. My legs were doing ok(tiring obviously, and hacked off with the whole thing, but they were still working), my breathing was controlled and HR seemed ok, but my mind just let go and stopped me. I got around the bend and saw about 75m of straight and the climb was finished. The last 75m didn't even seem to be 25%, maybe 20%.

Next time I know what to expect and I'll have more training under my belt. Also bear in mind I was on a 39x25. No grannies or triples for me! For the 1km, my avg speed whilst I was riding was 6kph and cadence was 30. no superhumans round here after all :wink:

If I don't the training in, then I'll be walking on the day. Doing it after 50/60 miles is a true test of mind over matter!

This is the climb I was referring to in earlier post when I said you were optimistic to think you would do it at 10km/hr :lol: This climb is much worse after 65 miles.
    I just managed it on 39 x 23 but many walked, I was barely walking pace but did not want to get off :lol:
  • I won't be getting off again!! Today was day one of the start of my turbo sessions. Been getting the miles in so far. A couple of turbo sessions a week and I'll be building the power to tackle it again, and again, and again! Not that I mean hill repeats, but then.... :twisted:

jhop, if I can drag my sorry ass our that early on Sat morning, I'll pop along and give some encouragement!! If not, I'll be dreaming of Cleeve Hill repeats as punishment. Best of luck, and enjoy yourself.
  • juggler
    juggler Posts: 262
    1km at 25% - you serious? .... f$%k i enter last week.....
  • juggler
    juggler Posts: 262
    if i have a 34 - 27 how many pedal strokes is that? Think i might be walking :cry:
  • juggler, I'll grab the profile from Memory Map and my HRM tomorrow(when I get back on my PC) and you can see for yourself.

And now for the power of a PMA - positive mental attitude.

All together now say it with me...

Bushcombe is a breeze! Bushcombe is a breeze! Bushcombe is a breeze! Bushcombe is a breeze! Bushcombe is a breeze! Bushcombe is a breeze! Bushcombe is a breeze! 8)
  • No it's not. However if you have a triple and are in good shape it might be (that's my plan) do-able.
  • PMA dude!!

I couldn't get Memory Map to work, something to do with Windows Mobile Device Center incompatibility! :twisted:

Polar reckons it's 14.5% over 1km
    Bushcombe1.png

When you get to the last 700m it's 18.5%
    Bushcombe2.png

and the last 100m is 34.7%
    Bushcombe3.png

The sign at the bottom definitely says 25%, so I guess it's some kind of average.

Now for more of that PMA - Bushcombe is a breeze! Bushcombe is a breeze! Bushcombe is a breeze! Bushcombe is a breeze! Bushcombe is a breeze!