Commuter bike suggestions

acr
acr Posts: 53
edited March 2008 in Commuting chat
Okay, I have at most £500 to play with for a new commuter bike. I have a hybrid, Claud Butler Legend. It's all well and good, however it has a very upright riding position and I'm after something of a more agressive riding position. Still need to have pannier rack, mudguards. Don't really fancy a road bike as I can see the wheels getting destroyed by potholes, and I'll probably look like a plonker with a rack on it.

Any bright ideas or pointers ?

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Nah, road bikes are fine with Panniers.

You should be able to get a bike from the Giant SCR range for less than £500, which take panniers and mudguards.

http://www.ashcycles.com/power/index.ph ... _111_55_72

Bloody good value if you ask me.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 1,387
    I use of Giant OCR3T for some of my commuting with a seatpost mounted rack fitted. Despite potholed roads etc. the only problem I've had with wheels was when a stick got caught up and broke a couple of spokes, but the rims have been fine. I definitely get more punctures with it than with my other commuter though that has 26" wheels and 1.5" slicks.

It doesn't look too silly with the rack fitted:
    original.jpg

It's certainly a bit faster than the 26" wheeled bike.[/img]
  • A - W
    A - W Posts: 253
    Spesh Sirrus Elite.

One biased owner here, really enjoy using mine and this time of year you might be able to get a massive discount off an 07 one. Get some full guards and lights and your well sorted.

8)
    FCN 10
  • Kona now do a range of road bikes with disc's

http://www.konabikes.co.uk/2008/dew/dew-plus.php
    15 * 2 * 5
    * 46 = Happiness
  • acr
    acr Posts: 53
    Good input folks. I should have mentioned that I'm 6'4, size 12 shoes so long chainstays are the order of the day methinks to avoid heel strike. Are all bikes much of a muchness in this area ?
  • jjstenso
    jjstenso Posts: 14
    I run a Genesis Day 01 (2007 model) I've had it just about a year and have covered about 1450 miles overall on it, only needed one new rear wheel due to bus induced pavement collision and also replaced Maxxis standard tyres with Conti GP4000s for mega speed.

Evan's do it for £449 i think, very good value.