Rt Hon Derek Conway MP

Dr Nosh
Dr Nosh Posts: 43
edited February 2008 in Campaign
Not too sure about the Honourable in his title.

Frank Field hit the nail on the head when he suggested he was embezzling public money. If Mr Conway was a manager in a company, then he would have been dismissed INSTANTLY and I'm sure legal preeedings would have followed.

Agreed, there does not appear to be a rule preventing employment of family members by MP's right now, but now we, the taxpayers know what goes on then I for one would propose some justification and clear record keeping of just where our money really does go.
Quite honestly the man has 'buggered it up' for the honourable members that do not 'take the michael' and think that they can get away with it.

Makes my blood boil really.
Republic of Lithuania

Comments

• ColinJ
    ColinJ Posts: 2,218
    Dr Nosh wrote:
    Not too sure about the Honourable in his title.

Frank Field hit the nail on the head when he suggested he was embezzling public money. If Mr Conway was a manager in a company, then he would have been dismissed INSTANTLY and I'm sure legal preeedings would have followed.

Agreed, there does not appear to be a rule preventing employment of family members by MP's right now, but now we, the taxpayers know what goes on then I for one would propose some justification and clear record keeping of just where our money really does go.
    Quite honestly the man has 'buggered it up' for the honourable members that do not 'take the michael' and think that they can get away with it.

Makes my blood boil really.
    Apparently there are more than 70 Tories at it!
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    Their all bloody at it - and have been for years. Look at expenses fiddle of Blunkett - a cabinet minister claiming his married mistress was his spouse!!! Try as they may, they cannot justify the current situation and the problem with the lack of accountability for their time management, expenses, employment, etc....the whole thing is archaic and deserves a complete overhaul. Surely time for the gravy train to come to a halt!!!

A Labour MSP couple of years ago managed to claim several hundred thousand pounds from the public purse in legal aid fees yet still, was allowed to draw a salary as an MSP. His attendance record was woeful. He is just one of many!! MPs being subsidised to buy a second home and then allowed to keep all the proceeds from the profits. Its little wonder politics the world over is corrupt - the politicians all too busy keeping their snouts in the trough.
  • Sub3_99
    Sub3_99 Posts: 1,591
    ColinJ wrote:
    Apparently there are more than 70 Tories at it!
    So assuming that it's evenly spread amongst the parties, there must therefore be at least 135 labourers at it too :x
  • girofan
    girofan Posts: 137
    It's all part of the democratic process. :roll:
    I say what I like and I like what I say!
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    edited February 2008
    I think is is merely the Honorouble D C (Rt Hon is for Privy Council members).
  • I've never heard of private contractors of limited companies claiming that their wives were their "secretaries" and paying them a wage, oh no :roll:
    Nor are they allowed to take those "secretaries" out for a meal once a year and claim the tax.

Honestly, do you lot think that the private sector is whiter than white?
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    I've never heard of private contractors of limited companies claiming that their wives were their "secretaries" and paying them a wage, oh no :roll:
    Nor are they allowed to take those "secretaries" out for a meal once a year and claim the tax.

Honestly, do you lot think that the private sector is whiter than white?

Oh yes, I need a new computer because I er find it struggling to run Excel. What will I do with my old one, oh I will dispose of it to my brother who will then sell it on E-Bay.

Many companies are running at a marginal loss to avoid paying tax, when the reality is their profits are used to buy stuff for the "business"
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    The difference between those in the private sector and the public one is that the public sector, particulalry MPs and politicians, Quango chiefs, etc. are the ones who are setting the rules, therefore they should be seen to be following those rules and to be held far more accountable when they transgress from them.
  • I've no problems with anyone employing family members. The issue here is that there are many MPs (Of all parties!) doing it and their "employees" seem to be doing squit for the money.
    The issue here is the whole expense system, not as fraudulent as the Euro-MPs' mind you :roll: .
    If I put in an expense claim, it needs receipts attaching, no receipt, no reimbursement. MPs should have to do the same, especially Euro MPs!, that'd keep some of the gerrymandered voters in useful jobs.
    The useless cnuts want to be paid more, for what? 70-80% of our laws are handed down from Europe and can't be so much as have a comma changed in the wording. Thus a pay cut is in order, I'd suggest.
    Pay them a flat rate, add "expenses" in as wages, then they can either keep it or pay someone themselves. and claim the tax back.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.