Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited February 2008 in MTB general

Comments

• That shop looks freekin' awesome!

I don't have anything remotely like that near me! :lol:
  • Matteeboy
    Matteeboy Posts: 996
    It's not all good - see my comments.
    Two Stumpjumpers, a Rockhopper Disk and an old British Eagle.

http://www.cornwallmtb.kk5.org
  • hhmmmm - just goes to show that looks can be decieving.....

On paper it looks great - my LBS is a little old shop with no facilities BUT - no elitism and the shop has been open since something like 1904 or something father to son etc

No frills but they get the job done!
  • Matteeboy
    Matteeboy Posts: 996
    Cheesey - it may just be my own experience but I was a pretty regular customer (I worked nearby and commuted in each day from Abbots Leigh) and had a few problems there.
    Just seemed that unless you had a top notch super bike, they weren't all that interested and were a bit too cool for school.

However they do carry some good kit, have good facilities and it's still a great place for an evening beer or two. Or three.
    Two Stumpjumpers, a Rockhopper Disk and an old British Eagle.

http://www.cornwallmtb.kk5.org
  • zero303
    zero303 Posts: 1,162
    I'm a fan of the guys and gals up at Bike in bristol...
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    Biketreks, Ambleside.
    I make sure I leave all cards in the car when i visit!
  • je james in sheffield :D
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Interesting feedback on that blog entry...
  • it's gotta be w. homer cycles in ellesmere port, cheshire, for me... :D:D

been there since 1906.....same as above, father to son kinda shop..

Always go out of their way to help, and seem to find any odd bits n bobs you need from somewhere..

i don't go anywhere else now, i dont need to..... :D

And i certainly don't use any sort of mail order shop... :evil:
    thinking happy thoughts....before the pixies steal them..

www.homersbikes.co.uk
  • jacktheoc
    jacktheoc Posts: 1,556
    Bikescene-guisborough 8) excellent service and do a really really good job, wouldnt use anyone else
  • Bromski
    Bromski Posts: 239
    Got to argue with you Jack - I much prefer Westbrook's!

If I go to Bike Scene for an innertube, they try to sell me a bike on finance...
  • see i'm uber cool i have a mate who does everything :wink: just requires a bit of green persuasion lol 8)
    If you aint in A&E, you aint riding hard enough

http://identiti4lfe.pinkbike.com/album/Scott-Ransom
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    Have to say it is much cheaper knowing mechaincs from bikes shops, as they can sort it when you are going riding for free! I guess i'm pretty lucky riding with two bike mechanics though.
  • I ride with an ace one... It's ok until he starts fiddling with the fine adjustment on my shifters, , as i'm riding... :shock: :wink: (i'm pointing the finger at you young Adam) :D
    thinking happy thoughts....before the pixies steal them..

www.homersbikes.co.uk
  • Swinnertons Cycles @ Birches Valley Cannock Chase.
    Great service.
  • Hub Cycleworks, Southampton (one in Bournemouth too). Excellent service and good discounts to keep the prices competitive - basically I can order stuff with them and have it fitting for the same price or only slightly more than CRC, and they know what they're on about in the context of my specific bike.
  • z000m
    z000m Posts: 544
    some old guy in birkenhead called alec green who i remember buying my first bicycle from when i was 8, he told me some weeks he was only making £30 and ofcourse he ended up closing down about 5 years ago. i been shopping online @ wiggle/crc ever since.
  • John's in Bath wins my vote - they are helpful, they don't care what type of riding you do, or on what kind of bike, and they don't treat you differently if you're female as many bike shops still do. OK, they don't serve drinks, food or anything like that, but they are really great with bikes and bike gear, and repairs.

Wiggle used to be my LBS before they went on-line when we lived in Portsmouth - they used to be a great alladins cave of a bike shop - kit hanging from every possible space - it was like fighting your way through a jungle of bikes, gear and clothing. Not quite the same on-line...
  • poucher
    poucher Posts: 102
    Another vote for Westbrook Cycles in Stokesley,

http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk
    Fantastic selection of bikes and gear, great lads to deal with and keen prices, I get all my MTB and road gear here and so do my mates.

Open late nights Thursdays, nothing is too much bother for them, I won't buy from any other shop.

Poucher :wink:
  • Freedom Bikes in Brighton for me...great guys and know their stuff so always got good advice. Always got time for a chat too. Cheers lads!