Adjustable stems - Road to Time Trial

Mettan
Mettan Posts: 2,103
edited February 2008 in Workshop
Does anyone know how reliable or safe an adjustale stem would be for temporarily coverting your Roadie into a TT position at the front - would they have the strength to cope with your frontal bodyweight resting on the pads, as in a TT postion? My bars are currently 4 cm lower than my saddle - ideally I'd want them quite a bit lower to get into a useful TT position.

Comments

• aracer
    aracer Posts: 1,649
    I used a Look Ergostem on my TT bike when I first built it up in order that I could gradually work on my position. Also I know people have used Giant adjustable stems on TT bikes. Not sure how much I'd trust a cheaper one, but both those would be OK.
  • Akirasho
    Akirasho Posts: 1,892
    aracer wrote:
    I used a Look Ergostem on my TT bike when I first built it up in order that I could gradually work on my position. Also I know people have used Giant adjustable stems on TT bikes. Not sure how much I'd trust a cheaper one, but both those would be OK.

I don't have any first hand experience, but a bud of mine has used the LOOK ergo with varied results. Seems as though his was susceptable to slipping as time and adjustments went on.

You might wanna address your goals with given equipment over whichever courses you'd be riding by checking out some of the thoughts on position over at http://www.slowtwitch.com
  • Eddy S
    Eddy S Posts: 1,013
    I’ve got two adjustable stems that I use that are from different ends of the cost scale. Both are for aero bars on my track bike for a kilo type effort.

One stem is a Deda ADJ and the other is a BBB Highsix OS. Both withstand numerous high intensity efforts in racing and training with the Deda getting the lions share of the use – the other set-up with the BBB stem is a spare that a friend also uses for racing.

The adjustable element is pretty chunky on both stems and they are designed not to slip. I’ve never doubted the integrity of the Deda bearing in mind it has a pretty chunky sprinter putting a lot of weight and power through it during a start.

I think either would be more then adequate at supporting your weight during a TT.
    I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.
  • Mettan
    Thanks guys - I'll look into all those - Eddy, the BBB HighSix was one of the stems that prompted this thread - cheers for the info on it - if I did go for more of a budget one , like the BBB, I'd be a bit frugal re changing it around too often - I'd keep the changes to a minimum just to hopefully keep that bolt secure and unworn.

Thanks for the info.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I've had experience of three - from a Look Ergostem, a Ritchey Pro and the System Ex Adjustable. The Look is heavy but highly adjustable - there's no reason why it would slip unless not done up tightly - if it was strong enough for the likes of Arnaud Tourant, then it's going to be more than adequate for the average tester. The Ritchey is a light, strong design - but you have to dismantle it to adjust it - so on-the-bike adjustement is a pain. Finally, the System-Ex has a high range of angular adjustment - I have it on my fixed TT bike for a nice low tuck. For the money, System-Ex would be my choice. Also go for a stem that is 1-2cm shorter than your road stem. The original Giant adjustable stems were very flexy.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    I've got a Look ergostem on my TT bike and it's certainly excellent for fiddling with position. But once the position is decided I'm extremely reluctant to start undoing and re-tightening the whole thing. Maybe it's just because I haven't got the strength to tighten it and be sure it's not going to slip, so I'd rather leave it after a strong male has tightened it. The clamp on to the handebars came lose just before a 25 once and I had an anxious hunt for an allen key with only a few minutes before my start time. When I want my TT position a touch higher, say for a 100 mile TT, I put the whole stem and handlebars above the spacers on the steerer tube instead of below them.

Not sure I'd fancy the Look ergostem on a road bike, though - it's very heavy indeed. Sitting for hours on tri-bars on a dual carriageway is one thing but doing a road race with a very heavy stem would be another thing altogether.

Ruth
  • Eddy S
    Eddy S Posts: 1,013
    BeaconRuth wrote:
    ...Maybe it's just because I haven't got the strength to tighten it and be sure it's not going to slip, so I'd rather leave it after a strong male has tightened it....
    Ruth, it’s good to know we still have our uses! :wink::lol:

Even so, I have to admit favouring tightening things to a torque setting rather then applying good old gorilla engineering techniques. 8)
    Mettan wrote:
    ...if I did go for more of a budget one , like the BBB, I'd be a bit frugal re changing it around too often - I'd keep the changes to a minimum just to hopefully keep that bolt secure and unworn.
    Both the Deda and BBB stems have a recommended torque setting for the bolt that holds the joint – I expect that that all of the other makes of adjustable stems follow the same principle. If you follow this and keep the threads clean and greased, there’s no reason why you have to be worried about things getting worn – it’s over-tightening and dirt that do the damage.
    I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    Eddy S wrote:
    BeaconRuth wrote:
    ...Maybe it's just because I haven't got the strength to tighten it and be sure it's not going to slip, so I'd rather leave it after a strong male has tightened it....
    Ruth, it’s good to know we still have our uses! :wink::lol:
    :D

Ruth
  • Mettan
    Thanks Monty, Ruth and Eddy - I'm now sufficiently reassured about the budget ones etc. Just out of interest I spotted this:

BBB High Rise Stem 2007

http://www.parker-international.co.uk/P ... 4f715ec882

It's actually a standard stem but with a huge Rise/Drop - obviously would depend on low you'd want to go, but it might be worth a look for someone - looks, quite good value for money.