Need a computer for my new bike

redddraggon
redddraggon Posts: 10,862
edited February 2008 in Workshop
Polar CS100 Wireless Heart Rate Cycle Computer

Seems to cover everything I want it to do, but is it any good?
I like bikes...

Twitter
Flickr

Comments

• milese
    milese Posts: 1,233
    http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/details.a ... LAHRMA0325

Cheaper here, with 10% off on top with the Jan sale.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Whatever you do, stay away from wireless Sigma of any sort. Utter rubbish!
  • Ive got the Polar cs200 model, had it nearly a year now and not had any problems with it at all - hope thats not going to tempt fate :)
  • kenbaxter
    kenbaxter Posts: 1,251
    wolvesandy wrote:
    Ive got the Polar cs200 model, had it nearly a year now and not had any problems with it at all - hope thats not going to tempt fate :)

Can you take a look at my recent post on this one please!
  • sloxam
    sloxam Posts: 861
    had a polar cad and it was rubbish. loads of interference from my lights, traffic lights and passing bmws!
    i currently use a wrist hrm and a wired strada with cadence. when the cateye v3 finally makes it here i think i'll get one of those.
    i hate hills (cos i'm fat)

www.justgiving.com/steven-loxam/
  • Whatever you do, stay away from wireless Sigma of any sort. Utter rubbish!

Can only speak as I find. I've used a Sigma 1606L on two bikes now for months with absolutely no problems.
    Perpetuating the myth that Lincolnshire is flat.
  • kenbaxter
    kenbaxter Posts: 1,251
    Lincolnshire - wow, there is another rider out there!!! Used to live in Horncastle and thought the Wolds were great ... until I moved next to the Cotswolds. Sorry mate - Lincolnshire is flat!!!! :wink:
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    Can only speak as I find. I've used a Sigma 1606L on two bikes now for months with absolutely no problems.

Me too. The 2 bike feature is great, it automatically detects the sensor on each bike and gives mileage for each one separately as well as the combined mileage. The only issue I've had is the screen going faint in really cold temperatures (-5C or so).
  • kenbaxter wrote:
    Lincolnshire - wow, there is another rider out there!!! Used to live in Horncastle and thought the Wolds were great ... until I moved next to the Cotswolds. Sorry mate - Lincolnshire is flat!!!! :wink:

Thanks Ken. We Lincolnshire riders need you and others to proclaim Lincolnshire is flat to all and sundry. It keeps the less well-travelled away. We don't want blow-ins taking up our road space :)
  • Garybee
    Garybee Posts: 815
    Oh no, it's the "my area is harder than yours" argument. Someone who lives at the base of the Alpe de Huez will be along in a minute to tell you that you are all wimps.

Hypocrisy is only a bad thing in other people.
  • Garybee wrote:
    Oh no, it's the "my area is harder than yours" argument. Someone who lives at the base of the Alpe de Huez will be along in a minute to tell you that you are all wimps.

Sir, you are free to move to the next topic.
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    Polar CS100 Wireless Heart Rate Cycle Computer

Seems to cover everything I want it to do, but is it any good?
    I reckon that CS100, CS200 & CS200Cad are all good.

The CS200 has more memory so that you store upto 7 rides. This can bve useful if you, say, ride to the start of the clubrun/sportive/etc and want to record the ride to/from these separately to the actual event.

The CS200 also has the option to add cadence which personally I think is worth the extra 13 quid.
    Rich
  • redddraggon
    Milese wrote:
    http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/details.asp?D=&Cat=&Section=&GenCode=POLAHRMA0325

Cheaper here, with 10% off on top with the Jan sale.

Well I've just ordered this, hopefully it'll work OK. I don't need the ability to store HR data and whatever as I doubt I'll connect it to a computer, I don't need cadence. Just HR and speed/distance will do me.

Now I just need to acquire some wide fitting shoes, helmet, sunglasses and perhaps some aero bars for the summer.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878

Give it time mate give it time
  • Vivica
    Vivica Posts: 68
    Pardon me for the topic bump, but i'm looking to buy a computer...

I've never owned one because i've never had a need for one, but i'm thinking of doing the MacMillan London to Paris ride this year and will need one to know how prepared i am for it.

All i really need is something with all the basic features, speed, average speed, trip distance, time, and ideally one of those groovy little arrows to tell me if i need to speed up or slow down to keep to my required average.

I ride a standard 2007 Tricross Sport Triple, if that helps.

Any recommendations?
  • redddraggon
    I've ordered my Polar CS100 Heart Rate Monitor off Ribble, hopefully it'll come sometime in the next week.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • milese
    milese Posts: 1,233
    I've just recieved a Cateye HR200DW from Ribble, only cost £40.

Seems ok so far, but yet to test it on the bike!

Only complaint is that the screen isn't as big as I thought it would be.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    Give it time mate give it time

What problems have you had, giantmancp?