Texting Driver Facing Jail After Killing Cyclist

karl j
karl j Posts: 517
edited February 2008 in Campaign
I'm surprised no-one's put this up already but this awful story was on the 6 o'clock BBC news earlier. Hopefully those twats who refuse to obey the law on a daily basis will take note and adjust their behaviour accordingly, though in truth i doubt it.

Personally i think prison is absolutely the right place for this woman, as well as anyone else caught using a mobile phone while driving..

Dunno how true it is but according to the news the cyclist had gone through a red light, so maybe a lesson for some cyclists here too
Morning route (when i don't get the train)

Evening route ,

Comments

• nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    karl j wrote:
    I'm surprised no-one's put this up already but this awful story was on the 6 o'clock BBC news earlier. Hopefully those twats who refuse to obey the law on a daily basis will take note and adjust their behaviour accordingly, though in truth i doubt it.

Personally i think prison is absolutely the right place for this woman, as well as anyone else caught using a mobile phone while driving..

Dunno how true it is but according to the news the cyclist had gone through a red light, so maybe a lesson for some cyclists here too

The news I heard said that the judge stated while ruling "Had you been paying attention to the road and not sending a text you would have seen the deceased had jumped the red light"

Wonder if the judge also included the fact that green means proceed if it is safe to do so, not GO.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    I hate to S**t stir but did she also jump the red light?!

or did he RLJ and, to some extent< suffer the consequences, i can't finfd the info on the BBC

obviously it doesnt excuse her speeding and texting but......
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    ddraver wrote:
    I hate to S**t stir but did she also jump the red light?!

or did he RLJ and, to some extent< suffer the consequences, i can't finfd the info on the BBC

obviously it doesnt excuse her speeding and texting but......

It appears deceased jumped red light
    Driver not said to have jumped light, but was exceeding speed limit
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • I am surprised that the media focused on the speeding and texting and not the RLJing. Perhaps I am too used to the 'any excuse to blame the cyclist' attitudes we have endured in the past.
  • karl j
    karl j Posts: 517
    "I am surprised that the media focused on the speeding and texting and not the RLJing..."

agreed on that, though i did see several examples of the good old "...wasn't wearing a helmet..." in the weekend papers. :roll:

Some things never change
    Morning route (when i don't get the train)

Evening route ,
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Do you think, had the biker been wearing a helmet and survived, the driver would have shared the protection of the helmet in a distant slightly related way? If the bicyclist dies from head injuries, a helmet MAY have saved his life and the woman from prison. Just a thought.

Safety equipment does more than just benefit the wearer.

This is a sad development regardless of any opinions either way.