What size frame?

Day03
Day03 Posts: 18
edited February 2008 in MTB beginners
I'm buying my first real mountain bike and after reading many posts on this forum and the web I've decided to get the Mongoose Tyax Elite 2008. Now I need to decide what size frame to get, they make them from xsmall through small, medium, large to xlarge. All of you will probably say go ant test ride it and see which one feels best but i haven't got that privilage. Considering that i'm 6 feet tall what size would you recommend?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Id go for the large - which id assume was a 19-20". Although before you buy have a good look at this - 300 and its got hydraulics. Tyax isnt bad but can it beat this spec?

http://www.ukbikesdepot.com/products.php?plid=m1b5s2p180
  • Day03
    I'm a complete novice so don't know what sizes correspond to how many inches. Same goes for specs, this will be my first real mountain bike and will hopefully learn about the specs as i get into it. I welcome all suggestions for other bikes that i should look at.
  • Bugly
    Bugly Posts: 520
    go for medium unless you never need to go off road. large wil be too large for a six foot tall person for off road riding in my experience.
  • go for medium - I'm 6' 2" and have a large Tyax Super, and I could probably have just got away with a medium.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Try one first if you can. Either a large, or medium.
  • I'm 6'1" and tried the Elite last night - it was Alarge and fitted well but I was put off by the colour.

I went for the Saracen Vortex LE in the end as It fitted like a dream and I loked the spec colour and price.

The Elite in XL was far to big for me as I think my nads would have suffered if I hit the bar :)
  • Day03
    I will probably go for the medium then, they don't have the bike i want in the shop and don't know if other manufacturer's size correspond.

I found the SARACEN Vortex LE for £269.99 with free delivery. It's one to consider
    http://www.discountcyclesdirect.co.uk/p ... f5a5b369c0

I also like the look of the GT Avalanche 2.0 2008 Disc, looks very sexy in white :) I''s £100 more but i'm very tempted by it. For a complete novice like me would i notice any big difference between the GT Avalanche 2.0 and the Saracen Vortex or the Mongoose Elite?
  • James_F
    James_F Posts: 137
    My dad is 6 foot and has a large tyax elite, and it's fine, though a medium would probably also be ok.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Day03 wrote:
    I will probably go for the medium then, they don't have the bike i want in the shop and don't know if other manufacturer's size correspond.

I found the SARACEN Vortex LE for £269.99 with free delivery. It's one to consider
    http://www.discountcyclesdirect.co.uk/p ... f5a5b369c0

I also like the look of the GT Avalanche 2.0 2008 Disc, looks very sexy in white :) I''s £100 more but i'm very tempted by it. For a complete novice like me would i notice any big difference between the GT Avalanche 2.0 and the Saracen Vortex or the Mongoose Elite?

The GT has the better frame and fork. Also has much better crank and bottom bracket, and rear hub. Both are great deals.
  • I'm 6ft 5in and ride a size L GT which is about a 20" frame, I could go bigger but I like the clearance over the top tube. Ride the bikes and see which you prefer