How do you stop plastic taste

xone
xone Posts: 71
edited February 2008 in MTB general
How do you stop your new camelback / hydrapack tasting of fresh plastic?? Yuck!

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I think Miton sterilising fluid might come to your rescue, or just wash it out first in WU liquid and leave to dry.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Fill it with sweet tea, then ride.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    bikers46 wrote:
    Fill it with sweet tea, then ride.

Whats wrong with lager eat-drink-smiley-5163.gif
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Screw the lager, go for Everclear, then you don't have to ride to drink it. Just stay home.
  • Its goes after a couple of times, a always put a spash of Orange or something in when i use mine. Then give it a really good wash with Hot water only, dont use soap! or if you do make sure it is really well washed.

Store it in the freezer when you have finished washing it out after use then you dont have to worry about drying it our as the water will just freeze, dont do the lid up though when you put it in there!!

When you next need it it will be nice and cold and ready for use.
    ....DaZeD aNd CoNfUsEd....
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    i put 1 part high juics to 4 parts water and a pinch of salt in mine, all you taste then is blackcurrent. Plus its really sugary :D
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • Chaka Ping
    Chaka Ping Posts: 1,451
    I only use water in mine and soak in Milton now and then. Tastes a bit like pool water after that - but I swim loads anyway so doesn't bother me.

Reason I don't use juice or anything is that I'm worried the sugar will cause mold to grow.
  • Pippen33
    Pippen33 Posts: 235
    A veteran mtber from my local cotswold store advised splitting a lemon in half, dip it in baking soda, turn the reservoir inside out and apply. It was good advice. I used to use water purification tablets.
    spammer
  • Another vote for Milton
  • strodey
    strodey Posts: 481
    Use milton or just waita few rides and it will soon go.

good tip

If you use energy drinks or put anything in there that may contain sugar to go mouldy a good tip is to just rinse it out then keep it in the freezer, saves drying time and messing about making sure its really clean and will keep the nasties from growing in it!
    Carbon is a mans best freind