Snake Pass Closed - where

ogre
ogre Posts: 50
Is the Snake passable? An old guy in Bamford said that you can't get to the Snake Inn from the Sheffield side. Has anyone been up there and got through?
Dry and warm days - FCN - 2

Dark wet cold - FCN - 7

Comments

• Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    It's closed till the 13th Feb due to a land slip.....

closed affecting all driving lanes
    A57 Derbyshire - Sheffield Road closed both ways between the Hurst Road junction and the A57 junction in Glossop, because of a landslip.

Last updated: 31st January 2008 at 15:01, started: 23rd January 2008, ending: 13th February 2008

http://www.smarthaul.com/TrafficLink/default.aspx?id=2167635
  • ajohn9
    ajohn9 Posts: 260
    coming from the glossop side, you can get about half a mile past the snake in. theres a massive dodgy bulge in the road :shock:
  • It's perfectly usable on a road bike. The road has slipped about 20 cm in two places, but the steps have been filled in with tarmac. A mate and I diverted from our run around the reservoirs and rode up to the Snake Inn with no problem at all.

Fantastic run with no cars. Do stop at the Inn and have a cuppa they are a bit short of trade at the moment.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Sounds like a good thrash there is required whist it's quiet. Reminds me of the time that a motorway was being built near my house and the last 2 weeks before opening saw dozens of cyclists going back and forth on a superb surface and a very wide road :D
    M.Rushton
  • So you can definitely get over the snake on a racing bike? Driving to shef from manc is ridiculous at the moment. Will be good to have another go at that hill again lol
  • I went over today in my usual direction (W-E), it was wonderful to be able to use all the road on the descent. The damaged section is 1 mile or so east of the Snake Innn.

The contractors were working it today and it looked like they were close to completing things so shouldn't be too long until it's opened again, so make move soon if you want to do it while it's quiet.

I notice the local council were taking advantage of the closure to clean up some of the roadside litter. They'd need to shut it for few weeks longer to complete that task, as the amount of it like too many of our country road is disgraceful.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Went over it both ways today. Glorious!!! Sunny,a cooling breeze,about 5 cars maximum each way,used the whole road to descend :D Onthe ride back to Glossop, the gloves were discarded at Hathersage such was the weather. it was good while it lasted. Be nice if they could close it once a month in the summer.
    M.Rushton
  • It would be nice if they closed it in the summer.

I went out this afternoon to take advantage of traffic free Snake. I had to remind myself that I was on the Snake Pass without any cars in the middle of February. It certainly didn't feel like it. Summer kit worn with arm warmers and leg warmers today. What a lovely afternoon. :D

Quite a few out on bikes. Any one off here?
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    So not quite as bad as Mam Tor then

Road%20destroyed%20by%20Mam%20Tor%20land%20slip%202.JPG
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • ajohn9
    ajohn9 Posts: 260
    It would be nice if they closed it in the summer.

I went out this afternoon to take advantage of traffic free Snake. I had to remind myself that I was on the Snake Pass without any cars in the middle of February. It certainly didn't feel like it. Summer kit worn with arm warmers and leg warmers today. What a lovely afternoon. :D

Quite a few out on bikes. Any one off here?

I was out today, was pretty fantastic!!
    out again in the morning hopefully