Shamal Wheel Noise...???

Stwutter
Stwutter Posts: 362
edited February 2008 in Workshop

Hi all.

About 5 months ago, I did something heinous... I put gold Shamals on my bike.

I know, I know - but they look great - honest... .

Anyway, I've been off the bike for 2 months with a knackered back , but I'm glad to say that I'm back cycling now. I used to be mega-precious about every tiny element of my bike, but being off it for a while made me just appreciate the fact I can ride again, but... I do have one issue I thought I'd run by everyone.

Whilst cycling, I get a small clinking noise, every wheel revolution. It's not the drive train, as it happens when I free-wheel. It doesn't happen on my turbo either. Also, there's no noise when I spin the wheels whilst the bike's upside down. So my conclusion is that it's the front wheel, whilst under load - and it does seem to come from that area.

The wheel's perfectly true, and the spokes are nice and equally tight. In fact, due to my bad back, they've not really done the mileage to be any different. I've had the tyre off, changed the tube, but it's still there. I have been told that it's likely to be a spoke, but should I got mucking around with them if the wheel seems OK?

TBH it's very minor, and if I forget it's there, it doesn't bother me at all. I did read once that lighter wheels (Shamals are sub 1400g a pair I think) are more prone to making noise than some heavier ones - not sure if that's accurate or not though?

Anyway, thought I'd throw it out there for any suggestions - I'm not pulling the bloody thing apart like I once would've though!!!
Knackered? Me?

Comments

• brit66
    brit66 Posts: 350
    I have a similar issue but with my Ksyrium SLs.

Noticed a loud tapping/creaking noise when freewheeling fast downhill. Thought it was a broken spoke and I was about to have a major accident but the spokes are fine.

It also happens when I'm climbing very step hills or when I break heavily?
  • Is it coming from the front wheel?? If so i had this problem on a bike of mine and found out that i had to grease the nipples under the rim tape or put a small amount of oil on each one.. But can you get to the nipples on the shamals?? If there anythin like the ksyriums i dont think you can. But it was a pain in the arse when i had it,i just couldnt understand where it was coming from. And as the problem went on it got louder,the noise sounds like the spokes are loose or broken but there not!. Also try putting some grease on your fork arches,where they connect to your wheel.
    Up hup hup hup.....fricking hate that!
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If it happens when you're riding along, it can be the inner tube valve stem tapping against the rim every revolution. Put a single wrap of tape around the valve stem to damp the sound. Alternatively, tinkling could piece of swarf trapped inside the rim - you'll have to chase it out through the valve hole!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Ken Night
    Ken Night Posts: 2,005
    Monty Dog wrote:
    If it happens when you're riding along, it can be the inner tube valve stem tapping against the rim every revolution. Put a single wrap of tape around the valve stem to damp the sound. Alternatively, tinkling could piece of swarf trapped inside the rim - you'll have to chase it out through the valve hole!

Just what I was going to say, with the additional...if you can't hear it while the bike is inthe stand, but you can, when riding, you may have trapped the inner with the tyre bead, and it rubs as it goes past either the chainstay, or brakeblock
    “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best..." Ernest Hemingway
  • poucher
    poucher Posts: 102
    MontyDog's on the right track,

I just collected a set of Shamals ( Titanium finish ) and I heard this "tinkling" sound coming from the wheel when I shook it in the shop :roll: the guy in the shop turned the valve hole to the 6 o'clock position and gave it a little shake and a couple of small bits of swarf just fell out onto the floor!! - job sorted :D

The other thing it could be is if you have a valve lockring fitted and its not tightened up it may rattle.

Looking forward to riding them to see what they are like :P

Cheers all,

Poucher
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    I had similar noise which dissapeared when bike was on stand or upside down, check you have done qr correctly and not too tight or loose, thats what caused my noise.
  • Hey poucher where did you get your shamals from? Ive just orderd a pair the titanium versions from parkers. But there not going to get here till the end of next week as there out of stock!! Got them for £529,they look the mutts nutts!! If your gunna give them a blast this weekend is there any chance you can give me a review on them!! Cheers! Rob
  • Stwutter
    Stwutter Posts: 362
    Cheers for the replys.

I've checked everything mentioned above. The main thing I've done is re-greased the QR, simply because I've swapped the Campag one for my turbo one so regularly whilst recorvering, that it may be that.

I'm goin' out to freeze to death for a couple of hours Sat, so hopefully that's it.

So far the posters asking about the Shamal performance, I can't fault them. It took me a lot to part from my Zondas, but a good decision!
    Knackered? Me?
  • poucher
    poucher Posts: 102
    Rob,

I got them from my local bike shop, Westbrook Cycles Stokesley, near Yarm Cleveland, got them for £520, and apparently they are going up 10%.

Not had chance to use them yet ( you seen the weather up here this weekend :shock: )
    But they look the Bizzo and are certainly very light.

Hope you get yours soon,

Cheers,

Poucher :wink:
  • Ha thats funny i live in Yarm,small world!!! Bugger if i would of known they were only that price i wouldnt of bought mine from parkers!! I normly shop at Rogers Bike traks! Were they the ti ultra version?