I got me a new bike on Ride2Work

vermooten
vermooten Posts: 2,697
edited February 2008 in The bottom bracket
The Ride2Work scheme is great. Sadly we only have an account with Evans but it means I got hundreds and hundreds (about £400) off as a result of this, plus another £250 because the Evans in manchester had just opened. I say sadly because I would have preferred to have bought it through (Sir) Paul Hewitt (best bike shop in the north) but money is money...

Anyway, clicky here and salivate, please: http://feltracing.com/08/image.asp?pid=8708

The guy who sold it to me at Evans is an ex-pro, Tom White. Nice chap, very helpful and knowledgeable.
You just have to ride like you never have to breathe again.

Manchester Wheelers

Comments

• heavymental
    heavymental Posts: 2,076
    Lol...thats a great commuter machine for your ride 2 work! :lol::wink:
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    Lol...thats a great commuter machine for your ride 2 work! :lol::wink:
    :lol:
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    Where do you fit the mudguards :shock: :wink:
  • vermooten
    I'll be able to get to work 5 mins before I leave the house.

Manchester Wheelers
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    NWLondoner wrote:
    Where do you fit the mudguards :shock: :wink:

...or the panniers for your packed lunch? :wink:

Seriously, that's a lovely looking bit of kit!
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    Way, way, beyond my abilities, but it sure is a lovely looker!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • vermooten
    meagain wrote:
    Way, way, beyond my abilities
    Mine too believe me.

Manchester Wheelers
  • If you saved about £400, how much did you actually spend on this rather magnificent machine ?
    Two wheels good,four wheels bad
  • vermooten
    The RRP is £2499. I paid about £1850. There's a version that's £1k more but comes with Zipp wheels - why didn't I get that instead???

Manchester Wheelers
  • Mog Uk
    Mog Uk Posts: 964
    We need a drool smilie, very nice indeed.......
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    "why didn't I get that instead???"

Ship, spoil, tar and ha'porth come to mind!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • Wow... just bloody Wow
    Every winner has scars.
  • I understood the ceiling on Bike to work scheme was £1000 (unless your company gets a credit licence) and you could not add to it due to issues over ownership.

I know in the past you could add , but this year it was supposed to have stopped?

This is from Halfords version of the scheme:
    Is there a maximum value to the amount of equipment employees can obtain through Cycle2Work?
    There is no maximum annual tax allowance for the Cycle2Work scheme, however the Group Cycle2Work Consumer Credit License made available by the OFT for particpating organisations, permits a maximum of £1000 inclusive of VAT per employee. The employee is unable to top up on the £1000 limit to obtain a more expensive bike, but you can of course apply to the OFT for a license to offer in excess of £1000 per participant, or you may have an appropriate license already in place due to the nature of your business
    ndodd Posts: 54
    how do this scheme work ? does it actually cost the company money or do they claim it back ?
  • vermooten
    dnsmiff wrote:
    I understood the ceiling on Bike to work scheme was £1000 (unless your company gets a credit licence) and you could not add to it due to issues over ownership.
    If true it didn't stop me. The Evans people waved it through as well.
    ndodd wrote:
    how do this scheme work ? does it actually cost the company money or do they claim it back ?
    There's a good explanation here: http://www.evanscycles.com/ride2work.jsp?item_id=430

Do it! It gets people out into the fresh air and so makes us less ill, so less cost to the NHS and to industry etc.

Manchester Wheelers
  • ndodd wrote:

The cycle to work scheme is a big winner for employer and employee.

If you are a higher rate tax payer you will get 50% off - if not 43%

In addition your employer if a limited company will save approx 17%+ of the cost in tax

On top of that if your employer is buying a few bikes for different people it should be easy to find a dealer who will give 10% discount. Many currently give this 10% to an administrator which is completely unessessary

cheers CTW
  • vermooten wrote:
    dnsmiff wrote:
    I understood the ceiling on Bike to work scheme was £1000 (unless your company gets a credit licence) and you could not add to it due to issues over ownership.
    If true it didn't stop me. The Evans people waved it through as well.

Looks like it's just the Halfords scheme - good and bad I guess, if it was uncapped I don't know what the wife would say if I'd spent another £1000!!!!!