The dreaded 'I've got a creak' question!

pete236
pete236 Posts: 204
edited January 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Evening all!

Last few days of riding (commuting unfortunatly, not in the mud :cry: ) the bike has been creaking and a'groaning. Not very loud (not half as bad as some peoples bikes I hear!) but enough to get me thinking.
As far as I can tell its coming from the cranks/bottom bracket - definitely underneath me not behind or in front. Only happens when the pedals are turning and they don't have to be under load.

I've got new cranks to go on (soon as half term comes along!) so if the bb is on its way out then it would be pretty good time to replace it with everything else off the bike.

So, the question. Is it likely to be the bb on its way out? If not, what else could it be? (Search me, Guv!)
And if its the bb, please could someone reccommend a replacement. The new cranks are Shimano LX with a square taper. Current bb axle length is: 113mm and the shell is: 73mm.

You guys on here have been mega - helpful with all my daft previous questions, hopefully there won't be to many more! Many thanks for your patience!
Pete.

One fine day in the middle of the night, two dead men got up to fight. Back to back they faced each other, drew their swords and shot each other.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    have a read of the diagnosing a creak on park tools linky below.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • pete236
    pete236 Posts: 204

One fine day in the middle of the night, two dead men got up to fight. Back to back they faced each other, drew their swords and shot each other.