Slight Wobble in the cranks

baccaman21
baccaman21 Posts: 523
edited February 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
I've got a slight lateral wobble through the crank axel - it's a Raceface Evolve BB.

I've been thinking for a few weeks now that the cranks aren't spinning as freely as they should... is it time for a new BB?

What would/could cause the wobble?

ta
get on your bikes and ride!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    depends on the wobble. bent axel? bent rings?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I rounded off an LX crank arm and that caused it to wobble. thought it was the BB at first.
    I hate it when people say David Beckham's stupid...its not like anyone ever says: 'Stephen Hawking - he's s**t at football.' Paul Calf
  • shin0r
    shin0r Posts: 555
    Check your crank bolts are secure. I landed heavily on my bashguard this weekend, and about half an hour later lost two bolts somewhere up Cwmcarn. I thought the crank was knackered but the wobble was just caused by the loss of the bolts.

Got some new bolts and used loctite on them, they aren't coming out easily again.
  • clipper
    clipper Posts: 60
    Wobble one crank and keep an eye on the other. If only the crank you are wobbling moves it's probably just the bolts that need tightening but if they both move it's possible the bearings are shot and you're looking at a new bottom bracket.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    sounds kind of like the bottom bracket bearings are loose or worn out.

Dennis Noward
  • it's the BB... Bearings.... cheers :)
    get on your bikes and ride!