Hope mono 6 saw disc rotors

andyturner28
andyturner28 Posts: 1,225
edited February 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Will these work with an Avid Juicy 5 caliper and Avid 203mm adapter mounted to Marz MX Pro ETA's? If not what other floating disc's will work, as i am getting squeeky brakes from uneven pad wear? Also if i get a 183mm rotor for the rear will the Hope adapter fit the juicy 5 caliper?

Cheers,

Andy.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    why do you want such a big disc on that fork? Not needed.

185 is the max that the type of bike that fork should be fitted to needs.

But as your brakes are post mount you will need what ever size adaptor for the discs you choose.

if the discs are of the floating type they have been known to catch on adaptors and calipers.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • andyturner28
    Maybe 203's are a bit overkill, just thought that bit extra stopping power would be handy.

So the disc's are the same width as the Avid clean sweep then, and will fit as long as i get the right adapter? Yes they are floating, and if they do catch could i just file a bit of the adapter away without affecting it's structual integrity?

Cheers,

Andy.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    i have again ask why?

they may not fit.

they have been known to rattle they are heavy. there are better discs.

But get them if you want. Oh the braking track on the hope is thinner so the pads will be braking on the spoke area (of the disc).

but as hope do make quite a few rotors a link to the exact ones you are thinking of getting is always a good idea.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Jimbob_no5
    Jimbob_no5 Posts: 1,568
    im fitting avid juciy 7 with 203mm rotors onto my marz drop off 4's just cause i can really, will be better stopping power and look pretty nice, so basically andy if you can find a way to make it all fit go for it, just do what you want with it
    Pinkbike

I believe in only 2 things in life.
    1) Drink is not my friend
    2) D-Locking cnuts ;)
  • andyturner28
    www.chainreactioncycles.com/models.aspx?modelID=16457 These ones. Want them mainly because i like the look of them, and fancy trying floating discs. Also like i said, despite frequently readjusting the calipers on the shims they still squeak again after about 200miles, and as i am doing over 100miles a week it gets prety annoying. Loking at the pictures on Chain reaction it looks like the Hope's braking surface is actually bigger, but pictures can be decieving though. I'll have a look on the Hope website for the demensions.

Andy.
  • shin0r
    shin0r Posts: 555
    It's not about what you need, it's about what you want. I only need a Matiz, but I want an M5.

I've got 203s all round, they're great. It's a good feeling to know your brakes will never be a weak point. Probably overkill but whatever :lol:

Edit: Be aware that the M6 Hope rotors are slighty thicker than the M4/Mono ones. I nearly made an expensive mistake.
  • shin0r wrote:
    It's not about what you need, it's about what you want. I only need a Matiz, but I want an M5.

I've got 203s all round, they're great. It's a good feeling to know your brakes will never be a weak point. Probably overkill but whatever :lol:

Edit: Be aware that the M6 Hope rotors are slighty thicker than the M4/Mono ones. I nearly made an expensive mistake.

Nick is right of course, 203's are too big for my forks, as they only have 30mm stantions, so if i was to hang of the back and brake as hard as i could they would probably bend. It says on the Marz website that they are rated only up to 180ish mm.

Noted on the different widths of the Hope disc's, i'll have a read on the respective sites before i buy.

Andy.
  • Jimbob_no5
    Jimbob_no5 Posts: 1,568
    30mm stanchions?? it doesnt go on that, it goes on whether the fork can take the adapter for 203mm rotors
    Pinkbike

I believe in only 2 things in life.
    1) Drink is not my friend
    2) D-Locking cnuts ;)