Headset (CK) question

The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
edited February 2008 in MTB general
I had my new CK headset installed when I had my frameswap done.

I noticed though that he had left the NEW stainless steel crown race (from the CK) in the bag with leftover odd's and sods.

I checked my rig and he has left the old cane creek race on.....

It seats OK and as he knows his stuff so I know he wouldn't leave it on otherwise..

However will it compromise the CK 10 year warranty and should I put my foot down and ask him to change it?

Or am I being pedantic?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    get the CK one fitted. or guess what if something goes wrong you will be buying a new one.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • That was my gut feeling Nick - he was probably being lazy so left it off.....

Will get him to swap it over asap

It seems to be a task noone wants to undertake removing a crown race.... well in my bloody LBS anyway!

:x
  • Splasher
    Splasher Posts: 1,528
    Split crown races are like garlic bread - the future.
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • They all should be split - makes perfect sense!
  • Splasher
    Well only those that use cartridge bearings. As Nick pointed out in a previous post, it's a bit more difficult with a ball bearing unit :D
    "Internet Forums - an amazing world where outright falsehoods become cyber-facts with a few witty key taps and a carefully placed emoticon."
  • nicklouse
    Splasher i am inpressed with my new Hope headset..... split crown race :wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Splasher
    Just got one myself Nick, a zero-stack one, to replace a crumbling FSA. Installed the race in seconds with only fingernails for tools. It's the future.....
  • nicklouse
    Splasher wrote:
    Just got one myself Nick, a zero-stack one, to replace a crumbling FSA. Installed the race in seconds with only fingernails for tools. It's the future.....
    same as i got, just waiting for the frame to fit it.

yes you read that right the frame is being made to fit the headset! :P
  • Splasher
    I left the hed-doctor in the box and fitted an SFN though.
  • nicklouse
    but you did use the top cap and bolt though.
  • Splasher
    Yeah. The bolt is ali and if it was a standard size, I'd have swapped it for steel but it has an oversize head to fit niclely into the top cap so I used it.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Didnt FSA make Hope headsets up to 2007? Hence had the split race?
  • Splasher
    Well TH Industries make FSA headsets - where will it all end?
  • nicklouse
    supersonic wrote:
    Didnt FSA make Hope headsets up to 2007? Hence had the split race?
    nope they did not ued to have split races. FSA is made by TH Industries CO,LTD
  • supersonic
    So TH/FSA/etc never made a headset or parts for Hope? Must have misread.
  • nicklouse
    they may have supplied the bearings early on.
  • nicklouse
    shin0r wrote:

Nope Cane Creek hold the license on Aheadset systems if you don't pay the license you can not make Aheadsets. It is not saying that CC make them.
  • supersonic
    I read that Cane Creek have suspended the license... FSA/TH can no longer use the Aheadset name. I believe the patent expires in 2010. But as its cloned with many headets, I am sure they will band it under a new name.
  • nicklouse
    CC decided to withhold the patent from FSA is the last thing i heard quite some time ago.

now it may have been resolved now but not heard anything.
  • Splasher
    As well as making FSA's headsets, TH Industries also make Cane Creeks.
  • Spoke to LBS to ask why he didn't fit the CK and basically he said the existing steel crown race is on the steerer very strongly and it doesn't havea bevelled edge underneath ie it sits flat with the top of the crown,

The Pikes only have tiny recesses to leverage off the old one - even with a racepuller this could damage the paintwork on top of my forks (which he didn't want to do)

The Cane Creak one on there is exactly the same only without the chamfered edge.

He said he would change it if I REALLY wanted him to, but said as they are both stainless steel etc it wouldn't impact performance.

I said I would think about it - what do you think I should do? Risk losing some paint on the crown of my pikes? Or go with the Cane Creek that's on there and works?
  • nicklouse
    get it changed. or do it yourself. have a look at the FAQ section and come back to us.
  • supersonic
    Splasher wrote:
    As well as making FSA's headsets, TH Industries also make Cane Creeks.

Not sure they do - may supply bearings. CC did suspend the Aheadset licensce to FSA and TH.

http://dockets.justia.com/docket/court- ... id-145702/
  • Splasher
    Aheadsets actually say "Manufactured by TH Industries for Cane Creek" on them. Also, what is the case you've linked to? The Plaintiffs are TH and FSA and the defendants Cane Creek and Homer John Radar III which means TH and FSA are suing Cane Creek over a patent infringement, not the other way around.
  • supersonic
    This was the original proceeding:

http://www.bikebiz.com/news/27308/Cane- ... anufacture

I assume they are suing over the termination, unless this is a totally differnt case.

"Aheadsets actually say "Manufactured by TH Industries for Cane Creek" on them"

Now that you say that, I do recall seeing a few that way, but I am sure all arent.
  • Splasher
    I have the TH industries headset book and they made 38 different models for Cane Creek and 45 for FSA (including 1" variants etc.)
  • supersonic
    Wonder how it will be from now? "You cant use our name, but we'd like you to make some still for us" lol. How does CC relate to Dia Compe? I have a Dia Compe 'Aheadset'
  • Splasher
    Don't know about Dia Compe.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    definately get your crown race changed, mr king makes his in a certain way for a reason.