Small Matt Seaton piece on Lemond

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited February 2008 in Pro race
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    I always wondered why the biog never happened. Seaton would have been a good choice to do it.

Strava is not Zen.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    I think Lemond would have been sued ...as Greg's been quite specific...e.g. over 450watts for Alpe Du Huez red flags the athlete for target testing...given what we know about V0 2 max.
  • iainf72
    He canned it because of his life falling apart at the time - Details were in the ProCycling magazine.
  • dave_1
    iainf72 wrote:
    He canned it because of his life falling apart at the time - Details were in the ProCycling magazine.

I read things had not gone well, but never realised that his domestic life was the cause of the book not going ahead.
  • iainf72
    I asked Dan F who did the interview

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12553243
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Any US forummer able to tell us the US Joe Public viewpoint on LeMond ?

Do they know who he is/was, approaching 30 years after his retirement, in a country obsessed with Baseball, American Football, Basketball and Nascar ?

I suspect he was right to fear he had been eclipsed in the public view by Armstrong (and Armstrong's incredible publicity machine :x ).

If such an autobiography of him was produced these days, I wonder who would buy it ?

A limited number of cycling fans, yes, but is his profile sufficient that it would sell in big enough numbers ?
  • It's split down the middle - half think he's a whiny, poor sport who came unglued when Armstrong eclipsed his career. The other half think he's still the real deal - the original, and someone who raced clean. No doubt the truth is a bit of both but I truly believe he's much more of a gentleman and a sportsman than Armstrong ever was or ever will be...
  • iainf72
    redbicycle wrote:
    It's split down the middle - half think he's a whiny, poor sport who came unglued when Armstrong eclipsed his career. The other half think he's still the real deal - the original, and someone who raced clean. No doubt the truth is a bit of both but I truly believe he's much more of a gentleman and a sportsman than Armstrong ever was or ever will be...

I would agree largely. He's definately going to be a bit of both.

He did bring lawyers into the sport :D
  • dave_1
    I think Greg raced clean. He was never great at climbing or time trialing...just good at both with a natural perfect career trajectory...unlike a complete donkey in the mountains who became a great...a few actually..

No way would he make as much noise as he has if he had any skeletons to hide
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Lemond rocks! He was the guy who first ignited the bug in me, and its no wonder that he'd be a bit bitter with the cloud that surrounds Armstrong's achievements, but i truly believe that Lemond wants the best for the sport.

Would love to see the book actually see the light of day. His first written by Samuel Abt has been in my collection for years.
  • andy_wrx wrote:
    Any US forummer able to tell us the US Joe Public viewpoint on LeMond ?

Do they know who he is/was, approaching 30 years after his retirement, in a country obsessed with Baseball, American Football, Basketball and Nascar

eh? :? He retired in 1993 ( i fink) so that makes it 15 years since he retired, not 30...

It's almost 20 years since he won he most famous TdeF in 1989 but 30 years ago he wasn't even a pro.....
  • iainf72 wrote:
    He did bring lawyers into the sport :D

Ithought that was Phil Anderson who first brought a lawyer to the negotiating table?
    I agree Lemond was credited with decent wages for cyclists but he wasn't the first to bring a lawyer into the sport.
    Same as it was Hinault who first used Look pedals but it was Lemond who popularised them.
    Also, Lemond was using very early versions of SRM cranksets back in 1993 but he wasn't the first pro to get them - there was a German pro on the Castorama team circa 1992 who got told off for non-Shimano cranks on his race bike before Lemond was spotted using them