Is my new bike any good?

steerpike
steerpike Posts: 424
edited January 2008 in MTB beginners
Hi There,

Just taken the plunge and bought my first MTB - and my first bike since I was about 8!

I've gone for an entry level hardtail - reduced from £450 to £300. I test rode it and liked it a lot. Can anyone tell me the good / bad points - generally, have I made a good purchase?

http://www.ukbikesdepot.com/products.ph ... m1b5s2p180

I intend to use it for mostly off road - naturally starting off on some more modest trails before building up. Is there a general updgrade that would make sense at this stage?

Thanks

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Its the best youre going to get for the money. Hydraulics on a bike at that price is pretty damn good going, and the frames reasonable too. The forks are ok, but most of all its nice to see someone who knows theyre not going to get a real mtb for 70 quid.
    Good choice and stick with it. :D
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    Nice set up for the price!!

Dont be looking for bad points, at the end of the day, like you said, you've riden it, you like it, now get out there and tear up some single trail oh and get it bogging!! :lol:
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • Nice bike Steerpike

Frame looks solid, and the spec is spot on/ bargain.

I wouldn't bother to upgrade, just ride and something breaks replace it with the best you can afford. Depending on your disposable income you may really get the Buzz and decide to upgrade in the future to an even more expensive bike? then you will never get the money back you spent on upgrades that weren't really needed.

If anything, if you progress your riding to trails of a more rockier nature, you may want to upgrade the tyres to a larger volume set, Say 2.1's or better still 2.35's (if they will fit in the frame/fork?) this will make a pretty big improvement in ride quality/ grip, even if it is trading a little in terms of speed due to the slightly heaver/ wider tyre, also you will be less likely to puncture with a bigger volume tyre.

Enjoy! :D
    www.27gears.com

Sore ribs.................I must start walking the trail 1st before steep descents into the unknown!
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    First thing you want to upgrade the contact points to make the bike more comfortable i.e. saddle, pedals, grips, but only if you think they need it. Tyres will prbably make quite a big difference - I'm not very impresses with the Factory XCs on my bike. However, you have a great bike there, so if you don't think it needs changing, don't change it!
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • steerpike
    steerpike Posts: 424
    thanks guys - very useful info.

Ok - I'm satisfied I have a reasonably qulaity bike there. Sorry - I should probably go through all the manuals and stff for this info - but I'm afraid I'm a total novice so any advice on the following would be great!

- Is there a recommended tyre pressure for average kind of riding? My front one feels kinda squishy.
    - where / when should I oil the moving parts on the bike and what should I use?

Sorry - I know this is basic stuff but I'm just starting out here!
  • you should really run your tyres at 40/45 psi.
    as for oiling the chain, i tend to oil it before/ after every ride and use a chain bath to clean it after every damp / muddy ride. it is also important to oil it after cleaning the bike, especialy if you use a hose as the hose can wash off all the oil.
    if you're not crashing, you're not trying.
  • Looks pretty damn good... I used to have one very similar (earlier model - Saracen X-Trail).

Does it have wide handlebars which are the correct height for you? I find that very important on a bike, cant be doing with those basic width handlebars.. Grr

Also, if your going to be doing XC you don't want your chain slamming about, which it will do...
    So my advice is this:
    Get an old inner tube, cut off the valve and cut it so it's just a strip. Wrap this around the frame bar under your chain and put a cable tie around it every inch and half or so. This cushions the blow and saves damage to your chain and frame.
    You could just buy something to do the same job but they're never that thick, plus this way is cheaper and better (Well, I think so).
    If your still lost as to what I mean... Here's what I did:
    http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m172 ... ike006.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m172 ... ike002.jpg
  • papasmurf.
    papasmurf. Posts: 2,382
    do I have a split personality or a dopplegenger.. :D
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    I agree with Papa Smurf - definately get some form of protection for your chainstay.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • BlackSpur wrote:
    I agree with Papa Smurf - definately get some form of protection for your chainstay.

Which One?

Papa Smurf or papasmurf!

:D

Sorry, couldn't resist
    www.27gears.com

Sore ribs.................I must start walking the trail 1st before steep descents into the unknown!
  • shin0r
    shin0r Posts: 555
    Papa Smurf wrote:

Best downhill record: 3/4 mile in 34 seconds, with a near crash halfway down. Love it!!

Are you sure about that? By my reckoning that's an average of 79.5mph.
  • papasmurf. wrote:
    do I have a split personality or a dopplegenger.. :D

:lol: I did look for other people with my name but you didn't show up... Oh well.. You know what they don't say.. The Smurf is always Blue-er on the other side. :roll:
    shin0r wrote:
    Papa Smurf wrote:

Best downhill record: 3/4 mile in 34 seconds, with a near crash halfway down. Love it!!

Are you sure about that? By my reckoning that's an average of 79.5mph.

This wasn't any fancy track, just a f**king steep hill that drops about 180ft. I had my timer on and away I wen't, before I knew it I was strugging to keep controll, so much so I nearly moulded myself into a tree while entering into the ravine at the bottom. As soon as I was out of the ravine and started to slow down on the uphill bit I stopped my watch. I'm not dead certain on the distance, but it's not far as is certainly not a mile, not even close. So give or take, 3/4 mile is a fair bet.