Drilling my frame.......

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,577
edited January 2008 in MTB workshop & tech
Guys,

my 18 month old Marin, was diagnosed with a busted bottom bracket, and sure enough when we took it out, not only did we find a bb full of crud, but also a nice pool of water that had collected in the frame, and I guess rusted and washed all the lubrication out of the bb :?

My mates advice, ex bike mechanic, is to drill the frame at the bottom, to give the water somewhere to drain out instead of collecting and causing havoc. There are other holes nearby, with screws in, for the cable routing, but these were done at the factory.

I know his advice makes sense, but I'm rather nervous........

What do you guys think?

Dan
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    should not be a problem the other choice is is there a bolt that screws into the bottom? to hold the cable routing shoe? undo the screw to allow the water out.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,577
    Hi Nicklouse,

yes there is one screw that secures the cable routing bracket, so you mean I could just undo that every now and then instead of drilling a new hole?

Makes sense.

Do all frames have this issue, or if not, what is different on other frames?

Good job it's not steel........

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    some do some do not. i have drilled holes in many a frame.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Speers
    Speers Posts: 5
    I wouldn't have the guts to put a hole in my frame. I prefer prevention. All my bikes live in my tiny apartment. The only time they see the outdoors is when I'm on them, gives them ample time to dry out should they be exposed to excessive amounts of water.

If you do drill a hole, it might be a good idea to put some kind of cork in it to keep water out.
  • Speers wrote:
    If you do drill a hole, it might be a good idea to put some kind of cork in it to keep water out.

Not meaning to state the obvious, but if the hole is at the lowest point of the frame (i.e bottom bracket) then the water would automatically drain from it and there would be no need for cork.