Slimline flat pedals

The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
edited February 2008 in MTB buying advice
Hi, I have been using flats up until a few months ago on my Marin.

I converted to clipless but my left ankle has only about 70% mobility after a bad break playing football a few years back and I can't disengage easy and as a result I don't feel confident. It's not going to get better and I have loosened the tension as much as I can

SO, am going back to flats - the problem being it's a very slimline racebike and the DMR v12 mags I had looked out of place due to the size of them....

Being a tart when it comes to this bike I am now after a nice set of flats (money no object) that would 'suit' the bike more - well as much as a flat could on a racebike.

If anyone could shed any light that would be grand - have trauled through CRC and the like but nothing grabs my fancy....

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Gusset slim Jim mags
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • look good - but are they not pretty much the same as the V12s in terms of size?

I removed V12 Mags from the Marin to pave way for the clipless .....

I was looking at the profile of the Easton Flatboys and they seem thinner than most.......

This is really becoming an issue at them moment...

Well, having your favourite bike pedal-less normally is :lol::lol:
  • nicklouse
    wider than the V12 and double concave so grip real well.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I am trying to think why pedal thickness would be an issue, but, as I am not in that situation, I don't know! Obv your foot is away form the pedal axis, which moves circular about the BB. At the bottom of the stroke, your foot would be closer to the bb... but at the top, further away, if your foot remained level. However, we don't all pedal the same.
  • scotttomo
    scotttomo Posts: 531
    thats some preety deep thinkin for nearly 4am sonic :wink: . Has it been keepin you up :wink:
    "If i was a slug i don't think i could handle it, i'd just throw myself in the salt pot" -Karl pilkington

Whyte 46, i fall off it alot!!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'm in one of those moods! Been playing darts all night, head is full of numbers... namely 26, 7, 41, 18, 26... 180. No, the last was a lie ;-)
  • nicklouse
    fatter pedals are closer to the ground. with a fat pedal your foot can rotate further around the pedal so the feel is not as stable.
  • I must admit that I hadn't thought about it in much detail....... I just like the feel and look of a low pro pedal.

I think the only ones out there that are looking like contenders are:

Easton Flatboy

or these (a new contender)

http://www.straitlinecomponents.com/products/pedals.php

Not too light but look slightly slimmer than V12s etc....

What do you think?
  • After going mad trying to find a decent flat - I bought THESE:

http://www.alansbmx.com/product_info.ph ... ts_id=5566

Pimpin' or what!!

:lol:
  • Dohboy78
    Dohboy78 Posts: 172
    Oh my god... I need those in my life!