Jeremy Beadle is dead!

heavymental
heavymental Posts: 2,076
edited February 2008 in The bottom bracket
...just thought I'd pass on the news....

Comments

• Rob Sallnow
    Rob Sallnow Posts: 6,279
    Blimey....and you're not even joking!!!
    I'd rather walk than use Shimano
  • Funnily enough I warmed to JB as he got older. When he first came on the scene I thought he was a bit of an idiot, but he did loads for Leukemia charities and really was an all-round good egg. R.I.P. Jeremy
    To disagree with three-fourths of the British public is one of the first requisites of sanity - Oscar Wilde
  • Rob Sallnow
    Rob Sallnow Posts: 6,279
    By the very nature of the programmes he presented most people would think he was an idiot :?
    I'd rather walk than use Shimano
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    Is he really dead or will he turn up later with a big false beard and dressed as a copper?
  • mercsport
    mercsport Posts: 664
    I really couldn't abide the chap until I learnt that he was solely responsible for bringing over to tour this country the legendary Captain Beefheart .
    I went to the gigs but was wholly unaware that Beadle was possessed of such subtle depths of taste . Remarkable !
    I expect most of you will be asking " Captain ..who ? "

...I'll see if there's anything about Beadle on Wiki ' now .
    "Lick My Decals Off, Baby"
  • CHRISNOIR
    I believe he promoted the short lived Bickershaw Festival in the 70s which wasn't far from my neck of the woods and one line-up did include the good Captain.
  • mercsport
    mercsport Posts: 664
    There's bugger all about Beefheart on Beadle's entry , but , yes it does mention the Bickershaw festival .
    Well , that's a gig I missed then . :oops:
    "Lick My Decals Off, Baby"
  • i didn't know about the Beefheart connection! learn something new every day!

he was a man who liked to laugh so i hope you don't mind me posting these as a sort of tribute -

22.jpg
    11.jpg
    3.jpg

and one of my favourite albums:

Trout_Mask_Replica.jpg
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Funnily enough I warmed to JB as he got older. When he first came on the scene I thought he was a bit of an idiot, but he did loads for Leukemia charities and really was an all-round good egg. R.I.P. Jeremy

Probably because he suffered from it
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Salsiccia
    Salsiccia Posts: 405
    spen666 wrote:
    Funnily enough I warmed to JB as he got older. When he first came on the scene I thought he was a bit of an idiot, but he did loads for Leukemia charities and really was an all-round good egg. R.I.P. Jeremy

From the BBC website:
    But in recent years he had battled poor health after being diagnosed with a mild form of leukaemia in 2005. He also had a cancerous kidney removed.

He attracted funds for Children with Leukaemia all through his life and is thought to have raised more than £100 million for all charities.

In 2001 he was awarded an MBE.
    I was only joking when I said
    by rights you should be bludgeoned in your bed
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    spen666 wrote:

I have to correct the above.

He raised money for Leukemia long before he was diagnosed with it himself. Good on him

I wonder if it is a sick co-incidence that he raised money for leukemia and it kiled him or if there was some family susceptibility to leukemia that inspired him to raise money for that cause.

The tributes to him on TV appear very heartfelt and sincere. He comes across as a good chap
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • iainment
    iainment Posts: 992
    I'll miss the quiz in the Indy on Saturdays that he compiled - hope thay have a stockpile.

Thanks Jeremy you made me laugh. :cry:

BTW does it really make a difference to charity monies raised if you suffer from the disease you raised it for. Either way it is a good thing and hard to do.

Pip pip
    Old hippies don't die, they just lie low until the laughter stops and their time comes round again.
    Joseph Gallivan
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    £100 million is £100 million. Got to take your hat off to the chap - that is a lot of money to charity.
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    Yeah, you've gotta hand it to him...
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • 30b1w01.jpg
    <a>road</a>
  • johnnyhotdog
    johnnyhotdog Posts: 142
    edited January 2008
    :D
  • Oh bollocks

I should read the thread properly

& now you've quoted it so I can't delete & look like a right tosser

DOH
    <a>road</a>
  • The Sun's headline " Beadles not about" can't help thinking Jeremy would have been amused.
    being a reformed stuntdrinker allows pontification
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Cancer and pneumonia, seems like he was dealt a band hand in life... oh.

Here's a few I've been sent...

Jeremy Beadle died on the stroke of Midnight when the big hand hit the little hand.

For the funeral Mrs Beadle doesn’t know what to arrange. She would like a lavish do, but on the other hand thinks a small finger buffet is more appropriate!

Jeremy Beadle would still be alive today if only he could have got the lid off of his tablets.

Apparently Jeremy Beadle's funeral will be shown on live television - it's going to be called 'You've Been Flamed'
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Oh bollocks

I should read the thread properly

& now you've quoted it so I can't delete & look like a right tosser

DOH

there you go!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Jeremy Beadle was going to get a minutes silence at all the Premier League games this weekend but his family asked for a minutes applause instead.
    They said he would have appreciated a big hand.
  • CHRISNOIR
    This was the first celebrity death where I received the text message joke before i got news of the actual death.

"Why am I being sent a jeremy Beadle gag?" I thought. "What year is this..." BBC News 24 caught up half an hour later...
  • pst88 wrote:
    Yeah, you've gotta hand it to him...

Yes indeed - Give him a big hand...
  • ean
    ean Posts: 98
    From my txt msgs ...

Lawyers are struggling to read his will as it seems to have been written in shorthand

Jeremy's family will spread his remains on the compost heap. ITV said he could be back in the autumn with 'watch out Beadles a sprout'
    The trees lie about the wind...
    www.wirralseafishing.co.uk